Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to change out a glo plug? Stealership wanted $200 to change out one glo plug. Would figure its not to difficult depending on which one it is and if something is in the way. Anyone have a torque spec?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
They are covered under the 100k mile warranty..... are you still under 100K miles? If so, it should be replaced for free

If not, then do it yourself... basically the same as doing a spark plug on a gas motor. Cheapest I've found them were ~$20/ea or $40/ea at the dealership. Depending on which one is bad, but should take less than an hour, from start to finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2008 LMM 33k miles. Well the stealership says glo plugs are covered under 3/36k bumper to bumper not the 10/100k drivetrain. I called and double checked them against another stealership. Going to try and change it myself. Got a torque spec?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Look in the owners book-- see what is listed. It might be part of the emission warranty.

They are not hard to replace-- kinds like changing a spark, plug. Sometimes they do seize and twist off-- good luck.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Chevy Warranty Information | Owners | Chevrolet

Click on that

Then click on "Additional Warranty Details"

"6.6L DURAMAX DIESEL POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
For trucks equipped with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine, the complete engine assembly — including turbocharger components — is covered for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty also features a $0 deductible and is transferable to another owner at no additional charge.

WHAT IS COVERED

Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Timing gears
Timing gear chain or belt and cover
Flywheel
Harmonic balancer
Valve covers
Oil pan
Oil pump, water pump and fuel pump
Engine mounts, seals and gaskets
Diesel Fuel Metering System: injection pump, nozzles, high-pressure lines and high-pressure sealing devices
Fuel injection control module and left and right common fuel rails - Glow plugs and control module

For more information on the Duramax Diesel Warranty, see your Chevy dealer. "

Might want to show that to them.

Reason being, is that if the glow plug breaks off inside your cylinder and you are doing it... you are screwed.

If the dealership is doing it... at least they pay for it and give you a rental for free

Or you could just be dumb and pay money to do it yourself, other than get it done for free... the torque spec is 13 lbs/ft

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea thats my fear. Stripping out in the head knowing my luck.

Do you use antiseize on the reinstall?

Is the GM glo plug best replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the very top of the page it says 2009 and 2010 models. Wish I could find literature stating 2008 model with that same warranty info. I'm going to look through my owners manual and purchase info tonight.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
2007+ warranty is the same.

I just had my 2007.5 LMM #4 glow plug go bad last week and had it replaced at the dealership under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guess what?

Called the third stealership and they said its covered under warranty 5yr/100k diesel engine warranty but not the 10yr/100k drive train and yes there is $100 deductible. Why would one be different from the other. I'm scared to ask what the drive train actually is. Probably the driveshaft and two u-joints as described in fine print in the lower left corner of the purchase agreement. Gotta love going to the "stealership".

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There was an update to the duramax warranty..... before there was a $100 deductible.... there isn't anymore.

If a dealer has no experience with a diesel, then they are going to give you back asswards answers, because they have no clue what they are looking at.

The first dealership I attempted to take my truck to didn't even know what glow plugs were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this lady was in that boat. Not a clue as to what a glow plug is. I was more along the lines of suspecting some double charging going on. Because the lady I was talking to was not the service manager. So why didnt the service manager call. "Cause if he got busted out he could blame it on the lady that called me and said there was no warranty".

They didn't charge the deductible either. Although the stealership I called to triple check the warranty said there was a $100 deductible. It would be very easy to loose your cool at one of these places when discussing warranty.

"Licensed to Stealership"

·
Registered
104 Posts
How do you know when you have a bad glow plug? Then how do you know which one?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
How do you know when you have a bad glow plug? Then how do you know which one?
because the check engine light said so?

·
Registered
327 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts