Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new here, and I’ve got a question that I haven’t been able to find a clear cut answer for. I’ve got a 2007.5 2500HD with an LMM that has 261k miles, and has a GDP tune with a 4” straight pipe from the turbo to the back.

I commute 40 miles one way to work each day, almost all interstate at 80 mph in South Dakota. I had been doing most of it with a 2017 Cruze diesel, but I hit a deer 2 weeks ago with it, and it got totaled. It got me out of that car payment, but now I have to make a decision. The injectors on my LMM are getting worn, are leaking some (155ml returned on passenger side based on diagnostic), and eventually should be replaced. With me only using the truck on occasion, I didn’t feel pressed to do that immediately, but now I’m faced with deciding whether to drive my truck daily or not. I was quoted $4800 to replace the injectors. The mechanic also said installing an Air Dog lift pump would help, but not solve the issue. That’s a big investment, but so is buying a new vehicle, plus I’m not concerned with a lot of depreciation if I drive the truck daily.

The truck runs pretty well now, considering, although the mileage is probably a little less than it’d be with good injectors (16-18 highway now). My question is whether some of you more experienced Duramax drivers think it’d be worth it for me to replace the injectors and see how long the truck lasts. How about the Air Dog? Aside from the injectors, it’s a good solid old truck without obvious other issues. Any advice would be great, thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
What are your injector balance rates?

IF you do need injectors consider buying them at Lincoln Diesel. They have the best reputation for them
Iif possible get NEW not remans. The small additional cost is worth it in reliability and longevity

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! The balance rates are all within factory spec, which had me hoping that the injectors weren’t the issue. I’m going to take a look at those Lincoln injectors. My mechanic said he typically just uses Bosch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts