Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had my LMM for two years and it still has ~16 months left on the engine/drivetrain warranty. That said, I'm about done with the dpf and odd shifts, etc.

I'm going to do an exhaust system and EFI V2 w/DSP5 and some tunes from one of the tuners on here. However, I have several questions that hopefully some of you that have already painfully wrestled with can offer some guidance.

1: should I do a downpipe along w/the rest of the exhaust, or just a dp back system? I've heard its a pain on the LMM to remove the dp and perhaps not worh it if running at a power level the stock tranny can take.

2: Do I really need an EGR blocker plate? Again, its a cheap item but apparently painful to change. I do know that when I disabled it w/HP Tuners that it didn't run quite right--almost like it was popping off the seat or something.

I'm running 35's and do a decent amount of travel trailer towing and don't plan on building a race truck, but am tired of the dpf and other bad stuff that the EPA makes them put on to green up the place and take efficiency out of the engines.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

·
Registered
662 Posts
i did efi from rob no need for egr blocker plate he uses it to heat up motor them efi shuts it off. also if you have a saws all go with turbo back system mine was clean as whistle and still a bitch to get dpf off and cat much easier to do it all

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the turbo back exhaust system, and had the egr mess shut off in my EFI tunes. I was told I didn't need a plate because it wont open now after EFI.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would seriously look into getting your trans built... especially if your going to be using some of EFI Live higher HP tunes.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Block it. 7 dollars, gallon of pb blaster, new cuss words you learn during install and its done.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Delete EGR with a twins kit ! :D
rip: trans

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I noticed you did not mention doing the PCV re-route??
Read "My Opinion"
EGR's fully functions from exhaust back pressure, with turbo back open exhaust the egr will only function about 20%. I've monitored this for 3 years with only the cat on otherwise I had open exhaust.
Turning off the egr with a programmer/tuner will solve that problem.
Blocking it will certainly confirm that it will not open.
Just recently I had the Diamond Eye DP & Diamond Eye DP to DPF quiet tone front pipe installed while they had the completely pita stock DP out I had them install the plate.
I did notice a quicker low end response I know by getting rid of the cat helps but I feel by doing both certainly helps. You will not gain any performance blocking the egr, but a little piece of mind. If your planning on keeping this vehicle for many years then think about it.
If your not sure and have to deal with emissions then just turn it off with the EFI.
I did 3 things at the same time so it's hard to pinpoint what provided the biggest gain.
My thoughts would be getting rid of the cat with the front pipe was the biggest gain.
I can not do this kind of work anymore, but I did observe it took 2 diesel mechanics 4 hours
to complete the job.
If you decide to do the DP then you might as well do the block, unless you have emissions to deal with.
Consider doing the TransGo jr shift kit.
For certain you should consider doing the PCV re-route.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thoughts D R C. I had forgotten about the PCV reroute, but its about the easiest thing to mod on the truck and it'll keep the turbo and intercooler clean for ~$10 and 10 minutes.

I really don't have to worry about emissions, but one never knows, now do they! It'll be a fun project, now I just need to find the time and $$........darn kids!

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I would buy the egr blocker plate. Then at least if you want to install it, its there for you. As for the downpipe, it really doesn't gain you any power usually but it'll change the sound of the exhaust at full throttle which is worth alone it to a lot of people.

If I can help, or if you need any prices just let me know!

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
112 Posts
I noticed you did not mention doing the PCV re-route??
Read "My Opinion"
EGR's fully functions from exhaust back pressure, with turbo back open exhaust the egr will only function about 20%. I've monitored this for 3 years with only the cat on otherwise I had open exhaust.
Turning off the egr with a programmer/tuner will solve that problem.
Blocking it will certainly confirm that it will not open.
Just recently I had the Diamond Eye DP & Diamond Eye DP to DPF quiet tone front pipe installed while they had the completely pita stock DP out I had them install the plate.
I did notice a quicker low end response I know by getting rid of the cat helps but I feel by doing both certainly helps. You will not gain any performance blocking the egr, but a little piece of mind. If your planning on keeping this vehicle for many years then think about it.
If your not sure and have to deal with emissions then just turn it off with the EFI.
I did 3 things at the same time so it's hard to pinpoint what provided the biggest gain.
My thoughts would be getting rid of the cat with the front pipe was the biggest gain.
I can not do this kind of work anymore, but I did observe it took 2 diesel mechanics 4 hours
to complete the job.
If you decide to do the DP then you might as well do the block, unless you have emissions to deal with.
Consider doing the TransGo jr shift kit.
For certain you should consider doing the PCV re-route.
Do the egr blocker plate when ya have the down pipe out. Will give ya a little extra working space.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide App

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
If you don't plan to install compounds later, I recommend doing a down pipe.

As for the EGR, You can have your tuner just tune it out. I have mine tuned out and have ZERO complaints.

I would do Exhaust, Lift Pump, Gauges, Transgo Jr and EFI Live.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Good thoughts D R C. I had forgotten about the PCV reroute, but its about the easiest thing to mod on the truck and it'll keep the turbo and intercooler clean for ~$10 and 10 minutes.

I really don't have to worry about emissions, but one never knows, now do they! It'll be a fun project, now I just need to find the time and $$........darn kids!
I suggest NOT going with hardware crap for the PCV re-route, the cheap rubber caps will NOT hold up very well overtime from the engines heat.
A lot of people do but after a few years and not keeping a close eye on everything the caps will crack and deteriorate sucking in the rubber and dirt into the intake.
Yes, it cost more but you will have everything you need having a clean professional looking install with quality parts that will last, and NO hardware trips.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Do the egr blocker plate when ya have the down pipe out. Will give ya a little extra working space.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide App
We did :)
Then had a :drink after.

·
Street Sleeper
614 Posts
When I started my LMM, I did Diamond Eye DP, 5" Flo-Pro, Trans-Go Jr, Banks, Cold Air Intake and EFI Live. The Dp helped with tone and a bit on the EGTs. Realistically not as much as advertised but still noticed the temps dropping quicker after that was installed.

Even with the Trans-Go I smoked my tranny on an Economy tune so do the trans-go as a safety measure but you might start squirrelling a little away for a rainy day. (destroyed the TC, scorched C2, glazed C3 and spotted C4)

The EGR is some what up to you as a peace of mind kinda thing...Thats part of my next round of mods. Keep clean cold air going into your truck dont recirculate hot exhaust back through if you dont have to.

PCV is also a quick cheap option for longevity, preventing the oil vapor from your crankcase to vent into the the turbo gunking it up and everything down the path at that point. Some people have mentioned even gunking up part of their intercooler from that.

Long and short of it I think you will be pleasently surprised with how much that truck comes alive with a little better flow of air and some tuning. My truck still impresses the hell out of me everytime I go home on leave. Enjoy that LMM cause it will be a beast!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Even with the Trans-Go I smoked my tranny on an Economy tune so do the trans-go as a safety measure but you might start squirrelling a little away for a rainy day. (destroyed the TC, scorched C2, glazed C3 and spotted C4)
That right there, is enough to make me not want ANY mods till my warranty is up! Guess I'm going to have to wait a while.....

·
Street Sleeper
614 Posts
Oh I will honestly admit it wasnt the mods that got mine....it was me being stupid. Stock or modded...stupidity will kill your truck either way. My lesson was learned when I cracked my wallet on that tranny build. I do not blame anything for that tranny but me plain and simple. I referenced that purely as a warning that just cause you put something on a truck to prevent a problem does not mean you are invincible.

On a personal note I would've Mod'd it sooner if I had realized the difference EFI and all of the mods in my signature would have made on my truck.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
OK that is really good to know! :thumb

Had me worried there..... with all the mods I have in mind, a complete rebuild on my tranny wasn't one of them! I'm an old guy so I can't see me beating on it too bad!

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Oh I will honestly admit it wasnt the mods that got mine....it was me being stupid. Stock or modded...stupidity will kill your truck either way. My lesson was learned when I cracked my wallet on that tranny build. I do not blame anything for that tranny but me plain and simple. I referenced that purely as a warning that just cause you put something on a truck to prevent a problem does not mean you are invincible.
Ok, I'm curious. What's the story here?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts