Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help Well I had a guy call me saying his lmm is using 2 qts or so of oil every oil change (5k miles). Its all stock, with 160k miles I believe. What do you all think I should look at first? I think I'll pull the intercooler boots and see how much oil is in the intake, then maybe pull the turbo mouth piece so I can get to the compressor wheel to see how much play it has. I will see if I can talk him into a pcv reroute and then put a catch can on it to see how much oil he's losing out of that. Anyway I have never messed with an lmm other than installing tunes. I'm going to try to talk him into deleting the egr and deleting the dpf also. Am I missing anything else to check? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is he towing with it all the time?

I ran into this same issue about a year ago with my LMM. It never used oil at all, but when I took a good trip to the mountains and put her to work, I started to use oil. I tossed the question out to the forum here and got some good response. Sounds like GM has a bullitin out that says it is normal to use 1 qt of oil to every 100 gallons of fuel consumed. I never had this issue till I started working it over the mountains. I ended up using 2 qts over the entire trip of 4,000 miles in two weeks, but pumped just over 300 gallons of fuel. And since then it only uses oil when I'm towing heavy.

Might something as easy as this. Here is my original thread from last year..

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/434010-question-those-tow-steep-grades.html

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update- Pulled turbo mouth piece and there was zero shaft play. The mouth piece was saturated from the pcv. I did a pcv reroute and egr blocker plate for him and also installed a single tow tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.