Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a 2010 Silverado 2500 HD with the LMM engine. I plan on keeping this truck stock (engine, tranny, emission crap, etc) so that I can get the longest life and reliability out of the engine as I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

There are several forums regarding DPF removal and such. I'm wondering, are there any reliability/longevity concerns in leaving the stock DPF and EGR valve in the truck? The truck does not and will not have any mods installed. Whenever possible, I am using ulsd as recommended as well as using Amsoil fuel concentrate and cetane booster every tank. I am running fullsynthetic 15w40 oil in it. This isn't my first diesel; however, it is my first new diesel. I am used to working on 12 cylinder and larger diesel engines, so this is still small in comparison.

Whenever I start the truck up, it usually see's three or four hours of runtime before I shut it off. On my long trips, the engine will stay running for 15 hours or more, usually seeing 1300 or so km's each trip.

I was just wondering if leaving the stock emissions stuff in this truck will hinder it's life span. The truck is not used for short trips. I have had it for three weeks and have accumulated 5500 km's on it so far. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Im at 37K and not a thing wrong except the leaky tranny lines but I'll get to it come summer. For now im just marking my spot everywhere haha. And I've been DPF/EGR free since 12K I think.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
You would actually see better reliability with the truck tuned to the stock programming, minus the DPF. The regen process dilutes the oil with diesel fuel, so your oil change intervals will be much shorter with the DPF on. Also a tune that disables the EGR function will help to ensure a longer engine life as well.

As a general rule of thumb, tuning a truck can and does decrease the engines life. thats pretty much common knowledge. But the stock tuning minus emissions equipment is the best of both worlds.

Another question is how much time do you let the truck idle? Extended idle time is not recommended on the LMM's since it can plug the DPF. It can't regen at idle, so it will plug and go into limp mode if you idle for too long. GM doesn't recommend over 20 minutes of idle at a time.

With the DPF gone, you could idle all day if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my idle time varies. Right Now it's nice and cold where I am at. Usually the temp drops down to -25 celcius. At this temp I would rather let the truck idle than starting and stopping it. There have been times where my idle time has exceeded one hour. Following idle times like this, I usually take my truck for a good trip down the highway before parking it, just to clear up the exhaust system. My neighbour has a duramax lmm as well. He usues his for shorter trips. He'll shut his down after extended idling stints and has had his "clean exhaust filter" warning come on before. I haven't had this happen yet. Maybe fuel quality and supplements have something to do with this as well.

I have been contemplating removing the DPF just for that reason. Question, with the dpf removed, should I still expect fuel dillution?

For those of you who have removed the dpf, which manufacturer would you recommend for a kit? Money is no concern in this aspect as I would rather pay for the best kit.

With the dpf removed, how much louder will my truck's turbo whine increase? Am I looking at any significant up increases? Lower egt? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There are multiple dealers on this site that sell quality exhausts and DPF removal kits and they are priced well. Just scroll down to the bottom of the forums and you will find all of the site sponsoring vendors.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at an LMM right now and this thread along with others I have read are helping me get all the info for whether I stick with my LLY or go to an LMM.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I thought the egr is only being used at idle? So driving down the road it is not being used it that correct?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Well, my idle time varies. Right Now it's nice and cold where I am at. Usually the temp drops down to -25 celcius. At this temp I would rather let the truck idle than starting and stopping it. There have been times where my idle time has exceeded one hour. Following idle times like this, I usually take my truck for a good trip down the highway before parking it, just to clear up the exhaust system. My neighbour has a duramax lmm as well. He usues his for shorter trips. He'll shut his down after extended idling stints and has had his "clean exhaust filter" warning come on before. I haven't had this happen yet. Maybe fuel quality and supplements have something to do with this as well.

I have been contemplating removing the DPF just for that reason. Question, with the dpf removed, should I still expect fuel dillution?

For those of you who have removed the dpf, which manufacturer would you recommend for a kit? Money is no concern in this aspect as I would rather pay for the best kit.

With the dpf removed, how much louder will my truck's turbo whine increase? Am I looking at any significant up increases? Lower egt? Thanks.

The turbo does have a slightly more noticeable whine without the DPF...and the boost pressure goes a lot higher a lot faster than with the DPF. Exhaust temps I cannot speak to, since all exhaust sensors are now unplugged thanks to the DPF removal. I have not bought the sensor that works with the new Edge CTS yet.

I got my pipe from Tyler at MeyerPerformance, he's on this site.

As far as additives, I use everything from Diesel Kleen, and OptiLube (rated the best by the study that was done), to 2 cycle engine oil in the fuel. I've even start dumping a few ounces of my old used oil in the fuel in a full tank. No problems yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is still stock with 168k and no major problems yet

·
Registered
394 Posts
fuel dilution and higher egt's would be my biggest concern with the dpf. I think it's a no brainer to delete the dpf for longevity purposes anyway. I am pretty sure the EGT's have to be significantly lower as I have not seen above 1400 with my dpf off and a 90 hp tune. when many guys are talking about what seems to be 1400-1500+ EGT's with the dpf on! I never had a pyro with the dpf on, but the turbo sure spools faster and I can't see anything positive about the dpf...unless your concerned about the warranty. You from canada? talking in those KRAZY Celcius temps? whereabouts?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts

Fuel dilution won't be an issue with the DPF removed. Once removed there is no regeneration process, that process (that cleans the DPF) is what dilutes the oil. Many people say their oil life goes down by 5% or more after each regen. This is due to the oil dilution. Your oil life per the DIC will be much longer without the DPF.

As for what kit to recommend, it's really dependent on what you're looking for. Loud or quiet, big or small, etc. Bang for the buck, Magnaflow stainless steel systems are probably the best on the market right now. But if you want the best, not worried about bang for the buck, I'd recommend MBRP's stainless. It should fit a little better.

As for turbo noise, you'll probably hear a little bit more inside the cab. Not a night and day difference though, just enough to notice at best. On the outside of the truck is where you'll hear it. When you get on and off the throttle you'll be able to hear it spool up and down. Sounds pretty nice if you ask me, especially when you're by a wall, or something with the window down :D And much lower EGT's are a direct result of removing the DPF and installing a free flowing exhaust. EGT's will be much lower than stock, and will drop faster at idle.

-Jesse

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great information. Because I live in a nanny state and will soon be subject to smog inspection, how hard is it to put all the crap back on?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
my dad has 60k on his 2009 with zero problems to date

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, if I were to buy a Turbo Back system, EGR block I could just save all the pieces and put them back on before the inspection? I guess the same thing has to be done to the ECU program.

Just curious. Are there any decent CARB legal performance mods like CAIs, ICs, plumbing, etc for the LMM? I tried reading the ARB website but it is hard to tell what these parts are.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.