Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it got really cold saturday night. I drove the truck and parked it. Sunday morning I started it up about 12 hours after parking it the night before. Sunday was just as cold or colder. Like 5-10 degrees. It ran for a minute or two and then dies. When it was running it sounded fine. So in order to troubleshoot it I changed my fuel filter and took off my water separator on my airdog. Now the truck wont start at all. Just cranks. Airdog sounds like it's running but I swapped in a new relay just in case. So I took off the 1/2 line at the motor and turned it to key on so the airdog would run. I can hear the airdog running but no fuel came out of the line. So I guess it's safe to say I have some fuel gelled up really bad in that line from the airdog to the motor? When I had the water separator off the airdog the fuel seemed to be flowing right out of there from the fuel tank. Is there any kind of attachment I could hook to one end so I can seal an air hose to it and try to blow it out if I disconnect it from the airdog and the rail?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Did you did prime the filters with the original primer pump on the factory filter housing.

You could try the exhaust of a shop vac on the fuel tank filler neck-- or if you don't use to much air pressure you can also use shop air.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put fuel in the water separator as per airdogs instructions. I did not put fuel in the filter on the airdog. I deleted the factory filter housing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So little update. I blew the hardline out with an air compressor after disconneting the line from the airdog and to the motor. Blew it out and then rehooked the pump up. Turned it on and fuel came out of the engine side so I hooked it to the fuel rail. Primed it and started up fine. Ran for 4 mins and then shut off again like it initially did. So i disconnected it from the rail again and turned my pump on. No fuel came out so I'm guessing the fuel is jelled but is able to get through the airdog but gets clogged in the hardline. Or the hardline still has some in it and gets blocked more when chunks of it go through it. Not sure what to even do at this point. Might try to see if I can get the line that comes from the airdog to reach all the way to the fuel rail.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You got it. Fuel is gelled. I am fighting the same problem. Do you have access to a heater garage? If not a torpedo heater and a tarp will work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must be just my luck I've been putting winter additive in it and even tossed some 911 in there. No change at all. While my friends are still driving around in their diesels.. including other dmaxs. I shouldn't have let it get to half tank with this cold weather too. I have a buddy with a torpedo heater that hes going to bring over to help with it. Supposed to get up to 40 on sunday I hear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have this same exact issue going on. Damn cold weather! keep us posted on what you find!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got home from work today. Took off my Cat filter off my airdog and filled it 75% of the way with diesel 911. Then put it back on and primed the system and truck started up. It's currently running now I want to see if this resolved the problem. I'm thinking the 911 fixed the jelling in the hardline possibly. Hopefully it did. If it runs for a while I'm going to go drive it and try to get the fuel moxed up but I already tossed an entire bottle of 911 in there as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only thing you can do is get it to run (idle), and let it idle for an hour or so. Drive it around your house until you feel confident its not going to gel. Then run that tank down to nothing and get rid of that shitty fuel! Only fill up at major truck stops. I ran into this in SD. I have a fuel pressure gauge so its easy to tell how close it is to gelling. Your engine cycles fuel back to the tank and will help warm up the fuel so the chances of gelling goes down. Put a cheap filter with a bigger micron rating on for winter. Next winter I'm not going to run cat filters...I'll go with the crappier more expensive filters so I dont gel up as easy. PITA!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had to fight gelling fuel a few times last winter. I haven't had any problems this winter but haven't been driving it much, been using another truck. But when I did have a problem I would dump 911 in the tank and put hot water around the air dog filters and that seemed to get it going. I ran a additive every tank too but still had problems. This winter I did drive on a cupel pretty cold days and think the differnt additive is making the difference. Also I think the fine cat filter dosen't have much tolerance and when the fuel just starts to thickin it's over and won't let much threw.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah since my last post I drove it all over the place and drained down the fuel some and filled it up at the station. No problems at all so far. We will see tomorrow morning if it starts up. I think it should because the tank shouldn't have much of the old fuel left in it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for following up leongto! I have my truck in the heated garage for the night we'll see what tomorrow brings. Fingers crossed she fires up. Thankful for secondary vehicles haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had the same problem here. Live in Ohio and it's been well below 0 for a few weeks. Got in it the other day and got 2 miles down the road and stalled. Started up another 400 yds and it stalled. By this time I just want to get back home. It was -16*. This time it would not even start. Had to pull filters and use a bottle of diesel 911. A quick shot of ether and she started right up. Once the 911 ran thru it ran fine. Never had an issue with any fuel before this. Been running additive since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts