Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lights on the steering wheel controls have stopped working. We don't have an in-line fuse like earlier years. Any thoughts? 'dunno;

Reactions: jakep4401

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
It’s been a few years but I think I replaced the controls on my 04.5 for this reason. I don’t recall if the controls stopped working or if they just no longer lit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
is it both sides or only one? If both did they both quit at the same time?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine had went out and there was small fuse I found in the side panel by the drivers door. It also took out the little lights for couple other center dash items too. And if remember right the fuse was really small amperage.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Wiring diagrams are available at GMUPFITTER.COM under the body builder section. If there is a fuse controlling this, you should be able to find it in the diagrams if it exists.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could the "clock" of the steering wheel be the culprit? All other lights function normally. All controls on steering wheel function fine. Volume down light is lit but not at full intensity/brightness. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Anyone know if the steering wheel controls light up on WT trucks? My cruise control never did except fore the CC On indicator. The accel/resume never lit. I also added radio controls and they didn't light up. I was wondering if I got the wrong switches.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The only light on mine that lights up is when I’ve activated the cruise control, ready to cruise.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
My bad, not thinking about what lights your talking about other than what I mentioned.
Have you played with the dash lights dim and bright adjustment?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
:thumb
The dash lights and steering wheel lights both are controlled by the same dim-bright knob switch.
I’m sure you know this, I was just suggesting adjusting it to see if maybe the steering wheel lights might start working.

·
Registered
82 Posts
:thumb

The dash lights and steering wheel lights both are controlled by the same dim-bright knob switch.

I’m sure you know this, I was just suggesting adjusting it to see if maybe the steering wheel lights might start working.
Yea it did not fix it. I did find a broken fuse but it was not for that. I watches it stop working. 1 second it was lit and then it was not. It flickered a few times a few min before it just stoped lighting up

Lmm Guy

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Yea it did not fix it. I did find a broken fuse but it was not for that. I watches it stop working. 1 second it was lit and then it was not. It flickered a few times a few min before it just stoped lighting up

Lmm Guy
sounds like a grounding issue in that circuit to me.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't found the culprit yet.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after procrastinating on the issue for a year or so, I tried something and it seems to have worked. Side dash fuse panel, located the 2 brown with white stripe cables for the steering wheel control lights. Wiggling the wires made the one and only working LED on the steering wheel flicker. I tapped into one of those wires and brought it over to the 2A SWCL fuse. Wallah - all the lights on the steering wheel are now working. The best part is no smoke and/or fire! My thinking was since I didn't have the 12V at the correct fuse I would supply the power to it from a different source. Is this a bad idea? Could it cause other electrical issues? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts