Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LMM turbo swap question

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  jamesjq 
#1 ·
I've been looking at swapping out my stock charger for a 4094avnt.
talked to the local shop today and he told me he'd never done one before but his shop book (mitchell's I think) told him that you gotta drop the trans to do the swap and that the hour est. was 15 hours! I've done quite a bit of reading on this and have never heard of anyone having to drop the tran outta the way.
Anyone who has done this or has had it done, did you? And if not, what's a reasonable time estimate for this job? I'm pretty sure this dude's a capable mech and he said if could do it cheaper he would, but he'd just never done one.
Anyway, thanks.

#4 ·
I have never dropped a trans and it takes 4 to 5 hours.................

#5 ·
Right on guys, thanks!

So, other question I had was why do you have to empty the A/C system, what is in the way? And other than that, are the pedestal mount bolts the trickiest part of this shin-dig?

Any tips from those who have done this battle would be much appreciated!

#7 ·
5 hour job max. Don't need to drain the A/C. Take it somewhere that knows what they're doing or do it yourself.

First step is get a friend to help. You'll need a big breaker bar, a 1/2" & 3/8" 12 point 12mm and your basic tool set. Easiest way is to pull both front wheels, pull the fender liners, remove the intake & downpipe, do the passenger side up pipe bolts first, then drivers side with one guy in the fender and one guy on top of the motor. Unbolt the oil drain by the trans. There's 3 bolts that hold the turbo down. Be careful getting it out, its really heavy.

#9 ·
Dmax- thanks for the insight, should be way helpful!

Tyler- I will talk to you soon!

Now I gotta ask, any hope of my non-built tranny surviving??!

#12 ·
That's what I was figuring.... I'm thinkin that I may try to do this myself and save the 5-7 hundred in shop charges I'd be in it for. I guess if worse comes to worse I can tow it in if I can't get it for some reason!

I guess now my question is billet or cast??!!

#15 ·
Got a transgo. I've been running Rob's 150 tune almost all of the time for over a year now (only time I don't is when I tow) and the truck has never skipped a beat or winced once!

#17 ·
How big of a tune were you running?

#20 ·
I was still running PPE on tune 5, which is 300 crank HP so a 220 rwhp tune. It never threw a code a had a thread about it, LMM won't limp. I thought all was well untill I put the new converter in. Mine was so shot that I could not get enough power through it get the tranny to limp. I built it and now I don't have to worry.

Why would you want to have to detune it from where it is at now? You would be going backwards...................... The tranny build s inevitable if you like big hp numbers............

#18 ·
To change a turbo if you have a lift. Lift the body off, I can do it in less that 2 hours thirty minutes to change the turbo, then put the body back on about another 2 hours, maybe a touch more. fifteen hours is rediculous

#19 ·
No lift, think I'll be wheel well divin.

#21 ·
Well, long story short, I don't think my stock turbo has much time left and if I was going to go to the trouble and expense of swapping one out or rebuilding one I figured I would just go with the upgraded turbo and run a reasonable tune with it and hopefully have a little lower egt's while towing (and I love that 4094 sound!). And figured if and when I do build a tranny and do a lift pump and injectors and.............. That I would be set up to make some real power and have the cost of the better turbo covered already.
And trust me, I love big HP numbers, it's just the boss lady don't like the big dollar signs that are attached to them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.