Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I recently picked up a 2008 gmc 2500 6.6 with known problem that when you turn the key starter won’t crank, when you jump the fuse it starts right up. Have replaced the starter/solenoid/and fuse so far but none of that was the case. Have looked around no corroded wires or anything. Also have no power to ac fuse and my trailer breaks don’t work /show no output but haven’t even started getting into that yet. If anyone has any ideas I’m thinking maybe replace the fuse panel maybe something had fried in there? Also she’s at 300k miles.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Do you really mean FUSE? or do you mean RELAY? If you pull the starter relay and jump pin 30 to 87, the starter should crank (and start if everything else is OK). Please explain how you jumped the fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Do you really mean FUSE? or do you mean RELAY? If you pull the starter relay and jump pin 30 to 87, the starter should crank (and start if everything else is OK). Please explain how you jumped the fuse.
Saw this and almost posted something sarcastic b/c if you jump a fuse and it works but then you've replaced it and it still doesnt work... well, i'd consider that fair game for a snarky remark.

He has to mean relay. No reason to jump a fuse unless you dont have any fuses. And if you dont have any spare fuses you should get some.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
You never know what people mean when they say something like that. I've never heard anyone say that, jump a fuse. In my mind, he means he connected a jumper from one side of the fuse to the other, as if he were testing for a blown fuse. That way of speaking may be common where he is from, I don't know, I just wanted to understand what he did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I doubt the glow plug is related to your issue. I would check the wiring at the corresponding plug to make sure the switch is working. It could certainly be something else but if the switch isn't pulling the relay then I would start there.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
You might want to look at the wiring diagrams (post #2) and see what causes the starter relay to be activated and start troubleshooting there. Don't worry about the flow plug problem until you get your truck running reliably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts