Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,263 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
My Dad picked up one of those (or very similar) for greasing the steering linkage on his boat and he seems to like it better than a traditional coupler. I think it's a cool idea.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
One more thing to get in the way, a good grease coupler will do the same thing if held correctly and appears from the pictures on Amazon it can be used on a slight angle and that would be the only advantage, the disadvantage, your wallet is $30.00 lighter..

My Elephant has the old upper and lower control arm bushings, when I grease them it takes a lot of pressure to squeeze the grease through, when done I have to use a fair amount of force to remove the coupler as it uses the pressure from the gun/grease to lock the coupler onto the zerk and that is using a 36" flexible hose not a rigid pipe type....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
These are what I use and work fine.

The top two are german made and never had an issue. It has 4 tabs instead of 3, and here is a locking one you tighten up. The german kind of do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Here you go, where I got mine.

4 Jaw Hyraulic Grease Gun German Coupler Tip for Greasing Fittings Universal | eBay

This is a brand new heavy duty 4-jaw hydraulic grease gun coupler.

This tip has a neoprene core which lasts longer than standard plastic in most tips.

Another benefit of this coupler is that it has 4 jaws instead of the standard 3 making it grip the grease fitting much better so it does not pop off while greasing.

Most importantly this grease tip has a pressure release valve to release pressure that occurs while greasing, especially with an electric grease gun. Instead of fighting the pressure and possibly breaking the fitting or the tip you simply turn the end of the coupler one turn and it allows air through to release the pressure.

Last of all, this product is NOT MADE IN CHINA. It is a heavy duty German Coupler and ships from the US.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
OP let me know, if you get one, how it works. I farm and my most important tool is the grease gun lol. Have one piece of equipment (ripper) that has 196 grease fittings on it.. Half of which dont take grease, the other half build up so much pressure you cant get the coupler off..pretty sure i could hang my weight on them and it wouldnt pop off lol. Would be pretty cool if it works as advertised..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a heavy equipment operator and have to lube my machines daily. I use an 18 volt Lincoln power luber which puts out about 7,000 PSI. I kept blowing through tips like I change my socks. The standard tips are only rated for around 3,000-3,500 psi. I got tired of blowing out the tips so I bit the bullet and bought the lock N lube about 3 weeks ago. So far it has worked great. I've been able to grease every Zert on a Case and John Deere backhoe with no problem. I'm impressed with it! The price was more than I wanted to spend but buying 1-2 tips each week was adding up so I invested in this one. It comes with a rebuild kit as well.
If you grease frequently I would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I am trying to find anyone who has used these grease couplers! I like tools, but I am afraid of gimmicks. I seen this video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGefvtzVf84

Then I looked on Amazon..... LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler

I think the idea is awesome and if it works, it would be well worth it. But does it work and therefore, is it worth it?

Anyone have one?
I used one for the very first time last night. It is AWESOME! When it connects there is NO grease pumped except through the Zerk fitting into whatever the fitting is attached to.

I did find that connecting to the two fittings that face up on the linkage were difficult to connect to because I could not see them while connecting. Usually though I pump much grease around the Zerk because the tip is not alligned correctly. With the Lodk n Lube, once it connected NO grease was wasted making a mess.

I use a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun so after connecting it all I have to do is press the trigger and in goes the grease. Easy-Peasy.

I LOVE this thing!

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
I also have one of these, been using it for over a year with no problems. The only problem I've came across is sometimes in tight spaces you can't get your fingers in to operate the lever other than that I absolutely love it.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I also have one of these, been using it for over a year with no problems. The only problem I've came across is sometimes in tight spaces you can't get your fingers in to operate the lever other than that I absolutely love it.
I found that for those two Zerks on the to top of the linkage I had to have the tires facing straight forward in order to have the clearance above them to use it.

On the lower ball joints I had to have the tires facing left for the right one and facing right for the left side, but that was not really an issue, just a tiny PITA.

Overall it is GREAT!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts