Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been looking at 5th wheels for a while one question I can't find any answer to is regarding the length of the 5th wheel. Is there any noticeable difference in pulling a shorter 34' 5th wheel vs pulling one of the longer 45'? Have an '18 3500 DRW.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
My experience is the longer trailers ride more comfortable. Just take more space to turn.

Reactions: TheDonk

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
^^ Chevor would know, he delivers campers all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Better fit at far more sites if you stay with 34'.
Unless every where ya go has pull-thru pads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends where your going. If you get a 45’ you are going to be very limited. Getting over 40’ seems to limit your ability to get into some of the nice state parks in Washington. Plus the general difficulties of maneuvering them.

The real big 5th wheels seem to be used more as destination trailers for folks to live in. Whether it be permanent housing or snowbirds that move it twice a year. Most folks don’t do the small camp trips with them.

We have a customer that came into our RV service shop with a 2018 Grand design solitude this summer. He had already worn his brakes out and worn the rubber shock absorbing center axle equalizers out. I was thinking he may have a brake or brake controller adjustment issue. Turns out he travels a lot more then most with it. The weight of it on 2 axles with electric drum brakes had to work hard to stop it. His truck was a 2017 GMC 2500hd Denali duramax.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Better fit at far more sites if you stay with 34'. Unless every where ya go has pull-thru pads.
Not to mention that some campgrounds will not allow anything in over 40'

Reactions: TheDonk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great feedback, thanks so much guys! We had considered the problem of finding campsites with the longer ones, but hadn't really thought about the wear on them. We will definitely be wanting to skip around to different campsites, and doing that with a 40+ doesn't sound like a good plan. Really appreciate the perspective.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We've been looking at 5th wheels for a while one question I can't find any answer to is regarding the length of the 5th wheel. Is there any noticeable difference in pulling a shorter 34' 5th wheel vs pulling one of the longer 45'? Have an '18 3500 DRW.

Thanks!
I agree with the other posters about accessing the more remote (and likely more scenic, quieter, etc.) campsites. Another thing to consider is height; I went to a very nice campground out in CA that had a vertical clearance limit of 12 feet.

I have a 34-foot travel trailer and had been considering a great big 45-foot fifth wheel, but after taking my TT all over the country last winter and seeing how difficult (or impossible) it is to get a large trailer into some of the more "off the beaten path" campsites, I think we'll either keep the one we've got or replace it with another TT of similar length.

And while I know this isn't a concern for you since you have DRW, the ~45 foot trailers are likely to put an SRW truck either at or over its rear axle/tire rating. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I have a 30 ft 5er behind a 2019 srw dmax
perfect size to get in most campsites …
that was part of my decision vs a longer rig …
you have to weigh size and need ….as I pulled tow behinds before and was good with 22 ft camper …
I felt that a longer rig would prevent the hook up and go anywhere ease..
and I am not skeered of length as I drive an 18 wheeler for a living
P.S. as I taught my sister years ago when she was thinking of going from a 2 horse pull behind horse trailer to a gooseneck 4 horse ..
the longer the trailer .. the easier to back up … in relative terms

1 - 9 of 9 Posts