Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC 1500 SLT w/LM2 Diesel
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, I've owned nothing but GMCs and Chevys for the past 25 years. Last week picked up a 2018 GMC DMax 3500 to pull a 5th wheel, for when we take that step next year. This is step 1 in making that dream happen for us. I wasn't planning on buying it just yet, but I know that I wanted one just like this, and my dealership (bought 3 trucks and 1 car from them) got this one in with 45k miles on it that they picked up from a large RV dealership, when the previous owner traded it and their 5th wheel in for a Class A. I ended up getting a great deal on it, and it runs smooth as silk. I've driven duallys before (long time ago) but I was really surprised at how smooth the Allison 6spd moved through the gears, and also how tight the turning radius was. I was really apprehensive about making a dually my primary vehicle, but this thing is really great. This is my first diesel ever though, so I've been on here reading up on DEF, fuel filters, and other things I need to stay on top of now. I've had all the typical used truck fluids and filters changed at this point, as well as having it certified for the 100k mi. bumper to bumper I got in the deal. I think I just need to get some windshield time at this point to get really settled into it. If there's any other first timer tips that you guys have I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your truck.

·
Premium Member
10,678 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
Welcome to DF. You have done one of the most important things when picking up a truck and you don't know the mx history. Changing fluids and filters to get them on your schedule is a big deal and a lot times people forget about that.

Fuel filters and the spin on allison trans filter should be swapped about every 10k. I would keep a spare fuel filter in your truck if you live in the great white north and have consistant temps below 40 deg F in the winter along with some fuel thaw incase it should freeze up. That goes right into using fuel additives.

We always recommend using a high quality fuel additive like Opti-Lube, Stanadyne, AMSOIL or Diesel Kleen. We have tested all these and they all provide good fuel cleaning additives and lubrication. Something diesel fuel does not have. In the winter, use an additive that helps keep the fuel from gelling up. We offer all these fluids and spare filters.

If I can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.