Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country L5P CC/SB
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to close a deal on a 2022 High Country CC SRW. Both trucks should be at the dealerships within the next week. My question is, I have the window stickers for both trucks, and the only real difference (other than the 300 miles difference in dealerships) is one has the z71 package and the other doesn't. What are the real differences in this? The twin tube shocks? hill start assist? Anything visually different? Don't have pictures of either as they're still in transit. Just trying to make the best decision sight unseen on an $80k truck. The truck without the z71 package is closest and is scheduled tp be at the dealership this saturday 9/4. They seem to be the easiest to deal with also so far, but i'll hold out if it's something worth holding out for.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Trying to close a deal on a 2022 High Country CC SRW. Both trucks should be at the dealerships within the next week. My question is, I have the window stickers for both trucks, and the only real difference (other than the 300 miles difference in dealerships) is one has the z71 package and the other doesn't. What are the real differences in this? The twin tube shocks? hill start assist? Anything visually different? Don't have pictures of either as they're still in transit. Just trying to make the best decision sight unseen on an $80k truck. The truck without the z71 package is closest and is scheduled tp be at the dealership this saturday 9/4. They seem to be the easiest to deal with also so far, but i'll hold out if it's something worth holding out for.

Thanks for any help.
It's a $325 option. For the Rancho twin tube shocks, hill assist start and skid plates at two locations.
With the high County your getting its not really worth it getting the package.
This is my personal experience. I have a '21 LTZ with the Z71 Chrome Sport package. I wanted that package because my '17 was that package and color combo. But here is the kicker. The Rancho Shocks are not that good. Alot of people on here have been replacing Rancho with Bilsten shocks. Which I did it my '17 and will be doing it to my '21 very soon even before warranty is up. Which I have 11k on it and already feel the shocks are having rebound issues.
In the end if they shocks on the truck have issues after warranty has expired. Put a part of Bilsten on the truck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, the difference is what you mentioned. We can’t answer what you need. What do you need? How often will you be off-roading? The hill descent is nice for dropping down steep gnarly grades, I use it and like it. Do you need that? Do you need skid plates? Does it really matter if it is visually different? Buy the truck based on what you need, it’s a tool to get work done, not a visual statement, unless you are one of those guys that thinks driving a truck makes them look cool 🙄.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't need ask for any advise as to what I needed:rolleyes:, my question about being visually different was basically things like is the z71 package going to change the type of grille, color of certain parts like painted vs chrome parts..so in that sense, it really does matter if it's visually different, nothing to do with being cool, just about what to expect when i prepay for a truck before seeing it lol. I don't offroad, I pull my 5th wheel. I ran fox shocks and airbags after the first week of buying my '16 high country so i'm not too familiar with gm's stock shock performance, but I can change those to suite my needs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't need ask for any advise as to what I needed:rolleyes:, my question about being visually different was basically things like is the z71 package going to change the type of grille, color of certain parts like painted vs chrome parts..so in that sense, it really does matter if it's visually different, nothing to do with being cool, just about what to expect when i prepay for a truck before seeing it lol. I don't offroad, I pull my 5th wheel. I ran fox shocks and airbags after the first week of buying my '16 high country so i'm not too familiar with gm's stock shock performance, but I can change those to suite my needs.
Put a deposit on both until you can see them?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nothing visual different with High County with getting the Z71 package. Hope that answers your question then. Good luck then in thinking about which truck to get. Probably would of got your answer if you would of went to Chevy online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check tow ratings if you are pulling a camper. When I was looking it seemed like the Z71 package in general had maxed out payload and trailering for the 2500.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
67 Posts
there are 0 differences visually between a truck with z71 or not. the rancho shocks are junk on both packages. you will probably replace those anyway.
my truck has the z71 package. i have used hill decent control 0 times. in fact, all the trucks I have owned over the years that have had it, I have never used it. you have to engage it and it only works at a certain slope angle and below a certain speed.
the only benefit to that package are the skid plates. i like to have them on my trucks for snow. you can just buy those from the parts department, they may be a little more expensive though

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Hello and welcome.
If you want to get an idea of how each truck looks, build each truck on the Chevy website. It actually does a decent job of modeling the truck.
Are both trucks HC trim? If they are, there's not a lot different other than what other option packages there are. I can tell you right now that the factory "rancho" shocks aren't the best. Most people do swap them out within a year.
As far as the skid plates, in terms of time and money, if you really really want them then having them on from the start is nice.
With everything I read on here, I'm actually surprised you found two trucks that aren't sold already.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
2022 3500 HC:

Z71 Z71 Off-Road Package, includes (Z71) Off-Road suspension with off-road tuned twin tube Rancho shocks, (JHD) Hill Descent Control and (NZZ) skid plates (transfer case and oil pan)

Lower trims:
WT - Requires 4WD model. Includes (QXT) LT265/70R17 all-terrain, blackwall tires. "4X4" decals on bed are replaced with "Z71" fender badge. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.
LT - Requires 4WD model. Includes (QXT) LT265/70R17 all-terrain, blackwall tires and molded in color Black grille with Z71 logo. Included with (PDZ) Z71 Off-Road and Protection Package. "4X4" decals on bed are replaced with "Z71" fender badge. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.
LTZ - Requires 4WD model. Includes Chrome grille inserts with Z71 logo. Included with (PDZ) Z71 Off-Road and Protection Package. "4X4" decals on bed are replaced with "Z71" fender badge. Not available with (ZW9) pickup bed delete.

Not available on Custom

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, got the truck purchased today.

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
Congrats! However, the first rule of the internet is, pics, or it didn't happen. 🤪

Reactions: SVG and jdwarren

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will do, picking it up this weekend,

Reactions: ibulleti

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
there are 0 differences visually between a truck with z71 or not. the rancho shocks are junk on both packages. you will probably replace those anyway.
my truck has the z71 package. i have used hill decent control 0 times. in fact, all the trucks I have owned over the years that have had it, I have never used it. you have to engage it and it only works at a certain slope angle and below a certain speed.
the only benefit to that package are the skid plates. i like to have them on my trucks for snow. you can just buy those from the parts department, they may be a little more expensive though
False

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for any help.
Mke sure to check the door tag as to load carrying capacity in the bed. the High Country which I bought has significantly less bed capacity than the z71 due to the use of the 20" wheels on the High Country. Most z71's will have 18" wheels which carry 600 pounds more load. The effect of this for me was that I had to buy new 18" wheels ($2,000) (no help from the dealer or GM) in order to get my truck up to the level needed for my fifth wheel trailer's hitch weight requirements. So look at the door tag and don't be surprised if the z71 has higher load capacity. Also, I have found that the 18" wheels ride far better due to the greater rubber cushion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mke sure to check the door tag as to load carrying capacity in the bed. the High Country which I bought has significantly less bed capacity than the z71 due to the use of the 20" wheels on the High Country. Most z71's will have 18" wheels which carry 600 pounds more load. The effect of this for me was that I had to buy new 18" wheels ($2,000) (no help from the dealer or GM) in order to get my truck up to the level needed for my fifth wheel trailer's hitch weight requirements. So look at the door tag and don't be surprised if the z71 has higher load capacity. Also, I have found that the 18" wheels ride far better due to the greater rubber cushion.
Thanks, and yes I took the wheel size and load ratings into consideration when I started looking again. My '16 high country had the smaller wheels and more capacity, but this one even with the 20's will be adequate for my rig.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts