Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2020 3500HD High Country, SRW, Z71, 8 foot bed with 20 inch wheels and pull a 2013 36 foot 5th wheel 14K GVWR. This truck also has the camper front torsion bars. Basically the snow plow option without the electrical for the snow plow. 6000 GVW front axle, 7200 rear axle rating. Truck GVWR 12,250 lbs. Just because the front axle is higher the total GVWR doesn’t change. I had to upgrade the suspension on the RV and change the RV pin box because the truck is so tall trying to maintain 6 inches between the truck bed and the RV and to prevent towing nose high. My truck bed height is 37.5 inches and the bed side to ground is 59 inches. I installed the Morryde SRE 4000, heavy duty shackles, spring eye wet bolt-with X braces and a Morryde rubber pin box. I’m still towing about 2 inches high in the front vice 5 inches without the mods. Truck and RV on the cat scale loaded is right at 23,500 and the truck weight is 12,000 lb. Also the 5th wheel hitch from a earlier GM truck will not fit the 2020 and newer truck pucks. My truck spare tire is 18 inch wheel. Someone already mention to check the door tag for GVWR and tow capacity. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali
67 Posts
The grill on the HC say high country molded in it...you wont get the z71 badge...

And i think tow hooks are different
dude he was comparing a high country to another high country. one with z71 package and one without.
I have a denali with z71. when i bought it, there was another denali without z71 right next to mine. 100% identical looking.
you are wrong.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My brother's '20 HC with Z-71 package has floor mats that say "Z-71". Only reason I knew he opted for that package when he ordered it.

·
Registered
2021 3500HD CC SRW SB 4WD
78 Posts
I have a 2020 3500HD High Country, SRW, Z71, 8 foot bed with 20 inch wheels and pull a 2013 36 foot 5th wheel 14K GVWR. This truck also has the camper front torsion bars. Basically the snow plow option without the electrical for the snow plow. 6000 GVW front axle, 7200 rear axle rating. Truck GVWR 12,250 lbs. Just because the front axle is higher the total GVWR doesn’t change. I had to upgrade the suspension on the RV and change the RV pin box because the truck is so tall trying to maintain 6 inches between the truck bed and the RV and to prevent towing nose high. My truck bed height is 37.5 inches and the bed side to ground is 59 inches. I installed the Morryde SRE 4000, heavy duty shackles, spring eye wet bolt-with X braces and a Morryde rubber pin box. I’m still towing about 2 inches high in the front vice 5 inches without the mods. Truck and RV on the cat scale loaded is right at 23,500 and the truck weight is 12,000 lb. Also the 5th wheel hitch from a earlier GM truck will not fit the 2020 and newer truck pucks. My truck spare tire is 18 inch wheel. Someone already mention to check the door tag for GVWR and tow capacity. Hope this info helps.
I have a ‘21 with a standard bed. Oddly my rear axle is rated 7250, your front has 400 more than mine, and GVWR for me is 12100. My payload is 3748.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Holy Christ. Like a bunch of 14 year old girls with the bickering

OP what package did you wind up getting? I have owned 4 z71s throughout my days - i will whole heartedly say they are not as class exclusive as they used to be. Their biggest claim to fame now is the skids and hill descent. I have personally used it down hill in snow but it was more or less to see what it was all about. Its cool, but if you know how to drive its kinda just a flashy accessory. The engine braking is significantly more substantial for road mannerisms. The current Rancho shocks, as you have read, do not hold up well at all. The z71 back in the day were Bilsteins which were great, and which everyone upgrades to now anyway. Additionally, my z71 factory shocks have pink dust covers, so not sure if youre in to that kinda thing.

They do come with different exterior and interior stylings, however, i would assume the chrome included with a High Country trim will supersede that. Also, the gauge cluster has a carbon fibre overlay, which i also believe would be different with a high country package anyway.

As far as your "skid plates" go - it's a form of molded plastic. Sure it's something to deflect but you still dont want to bounce off a rock.

Just about every truck comes with the g80 lockers now and electronic transfer case.

My recommendation (for anyone else on the fence) after owning a 97, 03, 17 and my current 19, get your regular high country non-z71 and spend the "savings" on the BDS skids and Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
2019 3500HD High Country DRW 4x4
51 Posts
I think GM needs to dream up another 40-50 packages for these trucks. There’s just not enough options. 🙄
I would love a Denali or High Country package in a regular cab drw. I'd probably be the only one to buy one but I would love it 👍

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Ordering I would only go Z71, if I had the choice of a truck without Z71 and one with Z71, Z71 would be the winner,
That’s the choice I would make.

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country L5P CC/SB
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Picked up the truck Saturday. It's a nice truck, i'm happy with it. 2022 High Country SB CC 4x4. It didn't have the z71 option, but i've ran fox shocks/cognito on my last truck and will probably do the same with this one so don't think i'm missing out there. A little below msrp also, not much, but a little. lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Picked up the truck Saturday. It's a nice truck, i'm happy with it. 2022 High Country SB CC 4x4. It didn't have the z71 option, but i've ran fox shocks/cognito on my last truck and will probably do the same with this one so don't think i'm missing out there. A little below msrp also, not much, but a little. lol
Congrats. Also pics or it didn't happen. Lol
Also please document when you do the fox shocks. I am interested in them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Congrats. Also pics or it didn't happen. Lol
Also please document when you do the fox shocks. I am interested in them.
Will do, I’ll be doing my airbags again on this truck first, shocks and cognitos or kriptonites in the spring.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I could barely feel the shift points! Really smooth

·
Super Moderator
1,398 Posts
I'm a broken record at this point, but pedal monster before the Derringer, you might be happy enough without the Derringer.
Congrats on the new truck BTW.

Reactions: powermaker

·
Registered
19 Posts
Trying to close a deal on a 2022 High Country CC SRW. Both trucks should be at the dealerships within the next week. My question is, I have the window stickers for both trucks, and the only real difference (other than the 300 miles difference in dealerships) is one has the z71 package and the other doesn't. What are the real differences in this? The twin tube shocks? hill start assist? Anything visually different? Don't have pictures of either as they're still in transit. Just trying to make the best decision sight unseen on an $80k truck. The truck without the z71 package is closest and is scheduled tp be at the dealership this saturday 9/4. They seem to be the easiest to deal with also so far, but i'll hold out if it's something worth holding out for.

Thanks for any help.
Funny thing, I shot the QR code on the door Post (B-Pillar Driver's side) and my 2020 2500HD High Country has Z71 and Z82. A High Country won't have the Z71 decals or badges on the fenders. In Alaska, you may want the skid plates depending on how deep the snow you are driving over is.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
NZZ Skid plates are also included with the snowplow package for those that prefer snowplow prep/camper package instead of Z71

NZZ Skid Plates, protect the oil pan, front axle and transfer case
1 - Included with (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package or (VYU) Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package.
2 - Included with (VYU) Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package.
3 - Requires (Z71) Z71 Off-Road Package. Included with (VYU) Snow Plow Prep/Camper Package.
1 = WT. LT, LTZ
2 = Custom
3 = HC

(Z71 is not available on 2500 custom)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Mine has the snowplow prep/camper package

21 - 40 of 43 Posts