Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Duramax 2500HD. It is 2 wheel drive. I test-drove it and like the power, sound, performance and ride.

I currently own a '97 F-350 Dually 7.3L Powerstroke, so I don't know much about the Chevy diesels.

What advice can you give me on reliability, and known issues with that year model Chevy truck. What should I look for and avoid if found on this truck?

My 7.3 Powerstroke is pretty reliable, but the truck is older and I'm looking for something a little smaller. Will it handle hauling my 12,000 lb 5th-wheel trailer without any issues?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the same truck in 4wd. The 01-04 Duramax (LB7) are known for injector issues. If there's any haze, you're more than likely on the way for injectors...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, it will handle your 5th wheel just fine. Mine is a 2003 2WD ECSB and I used to pull a 33' Gulfstream
at 70 & 75 all the time. If your going to pull a 5th Wheel, I'd suggest a Prodigy Brake Controller. It's a GREAT Controller.

I'd ask questions about the following:
1. When were the Injectors changed? Typical mileage is 120-150K on a set.
If it hasn't been done yet, you are looking at about 3-4K out of pocket.
2. Does it also have a Nicktane Filter in Wheel Well (CAT Filter)?
3. Has the Fuel Filter (Engine Compartment) been changed regularly?
4. Has the Fuel Filter Head (Pump) been rebuilt? When?
5. How many times has Instrument Panel Cluster been changed or Rebuilt?
6. Ask if the Power Steering Pump has been replaced. (No Brakes or Power Steering)
7. When you put it Park or Drive, does the shift indicator shine bright enough to see?

Turn the Ignition switch to "ON". Do all the Gauges Reset, and work properly every time you do this?
Or do the Gauges come on 3-5 minutes after you start the Truck, and are driving it down the road?

Does it start good, without excessive cranking?

Look at the Brake Pedal Rod that goes to the Brake Booster, and see if it's leaking Fluid into the Cab. YEP, mine has started leaking there now, too!

When the Drivers Window is rolled down, does it regularly roll up within half a day, rain or shine?

Does the CD Player play half of the first track of a song, then quit playing? Maybe mine doesn't like Gospel Music.

If you can say yes to 2-3 of the above, then it's a good CHEVY!

Larry

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Water pump

Another issue to ask about!

A $100 pump can cost over $1000 to R&R at the dealer or 6 +\- hours diy.

Check for dampness under the Hydro-Boost. Not super $$$, but if damp, it's going out.

All the best!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, and I just found the two postings on the HydroBoost, as mine is leaking.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...w-hydroboost-rebuild-leak-fix-discussion.html

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...train/163755-dampness-bottom-hydro-boost.html

Here's the kit:
Hydro-Boost Rebuild Kits = KIT 50
Hydro-Boost Rebuild Kits

And, here's the instructions:
Hydro Boost Repair Kit Instructions
Hydro Boost Repair Kit Instructions

HydroBoost Flush
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/9074-power-steering-hydro-boost-flush.html

I also located this posting:
Just got off the phone with Marlene at Elder Rubber (1-800-231-2099) and here's what they have:

Figure 8 seal. 2778532. $0.40

Main seal. 129484. $0.85

Rubber only kit. 39-339. $6.25

Complete kit. 2771004. $24.91

There is a $25.00 minimum order (complete kit is close enough).
Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts