Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a Chevy dealer today to look at new 2020 3500HD Duallies with the 6.6 Gas Engine.

I found on their lot a Diesel 2018 Crew Cab 3500 Dually LTZ with 36,000 miles on it and in excellent condition..

The cost will be a little lower than a new 2020 Gas LT that I was looking at.

I will pulling a fifth wheel camper with a dry weight of 10,500 lbs.

I know the diesel will pull the trailer better, and I expect it to cost more to operate.

Based upon things I have previously read on other forums, I have had a concern about the reliability of the diesel engine with all of the pollution stuff that is on the modern diesel engine, and potentially large repair bills.

You thoughts on this truck would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go for the diesel.. The new gas engine has not been proven... I had to replace a new 6.6 gas at 5K for a scored piston and cylinder..
IMO the diesel emissions problems are related to short trips and not being worked.. Mechanicals are bullet proof.

·
Registered
18 Posts
DURAMAX DOMINATION!

Factory 6.6L Duramax engines will make 300 to 397 flywheel horsepower depending on the model. Virtually any model can be bumped up to around 600 hp (about 480 rwhp) with simple computer tuning, provided that the turbocharger and fuel system are in good working order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts