Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks.
Ive got an 08 LMM with 126,000 KMS on it. Im looking to do a DPF delete/Tuner at 160 (when warranty is done). Im not looking to make much more power than what it already has (its stock), but I need that can gone ASAP and I'd like to know what the best programmer would be for my situation. I previously had an 05 cummins, With nothing but a stock exhaust (besides CAT delete, MBRP Hi-flow muffler, and tip), K&N filter (wont buy another one), and 275/85/17 Toyo AT's. Loved that truck, but I wanted to get a dually. Picked this one up last week. I tow a 8-10K lb 26' Travel trailer W/ Truck loaded with 3-4 dirtbikes, firewood, and 4-5 people. Id say in it. These are the mods im looking to do:

S&B Intake
4-5" MBRP straight pipe W/DPF delete
Transgo JR shift kit
??? programmer.

Like I said before, Im not looking for much more power, just want to ditch that can and let this thing breathe as good as my Cummins did :)

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Add on a s&b intake.

I used a ppe hot race before i switched to efilive, I got it from alligator performance and it was really good. automatically deleted the dpf. i recommend ppe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said before, Im not into High HP (im 46, Ive had my fair share of High HP fun), but more into keeping it as reliable as it is now, and maybe getting another 35-60 hp/ 60-100 LB ft out of it. Ive looked around alot lately, and have hear alot of good things about both PPE and EFIlive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WIth the mods I stated in my original post, what kind of power do you think ill be making?

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
The DIY mod on the stock LMM intake works just as good if not better fhan ANY aftermarket intake including Banks Ramair with scoop.
With just about only 2 hrs of your labor and about $75 for a aFe OEM proguard 7 airfilter #71-10101. You make the call on this one.

I use the Quadzilla Stealth II set on economy Nodpf along with the EdgeInsight gauge/monitor.
Some piss and moan on anything else other than what they use.
They all have issues.
I've run my quad since 10/2008 with NO issues and happy.
As far as price the Quadzilla is the most economally priced and a good product as far as I'm concerned.

As far as power you would be impressed with pretty much anything you choose.
Just be sure whatever programmer you choose make sure it will delete the dpf, not all will.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The DIY mod on the stock LMM intake works just as good if not better fhan ANY aftermarket intake including Banks Ramair with scoop.
With just about only 2 hrs of your labor and about $75 for a aFe OEM proguard 7 airfilter #71-10101. You make the call on this one.

I use the Quadzilla Stealth II set on economy Nodpf along with the EdgeInsight gauge/monitor.
Some piss and moan on anything else other than what they use.
They all have issues.
I've run my quad since 10/2008 with NO issues and happy.
As far as price the Quadzilla is the most economally priced and a good product as far as I'm concerned.

As far as power you would be impressed with pretty much anything you choose.
Just be sure whatever programmer you choose make sure it will delete the dpf, not all will.
I saw some stuff on the Quad too. I heard that you can buy the EFI live kit from the website (with no preloaded tunes), and then just set the DPF delete and be done with it. Is that true?

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I saw some stuff on the Quad too. I heard that you can buy the EFI live kit from the website (with no preloaded tunes), and then just set the DPF delete and be done with it. Is that true?
This is a ? you will have to ask the EFI people.
My choices in 10/08 for a nodpf tune was EFI, PPE, Quadzilla.
At that time the EFI was more than double than the cost of the Quad plus I would have to buy a laptop. PPE was double compared to the Quad.
I've had custom tunes in the past, what I'm concerned about is most of us don't know the custom tune person from Addam. We only can go by recommendations, I had to go thru 3 tunes before he got it right.
Since then I'm a fan of can tunes which is what people call a programmer that is already loaded with generic tunes.
My opinion is they cost less and have less issues, providing you don't load some crazy big HP tune.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I don't understand the question, what are you wanting to do with EFI Live?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I heard that you could leave the stock tune on the truck, and simply disable the DPF.
You can just modify the DPF parameters if you wanted to, but why not get a tune at that point?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can just modify the DPF parameters if you wanted to, but why not get a tune at that point?
I want to maintain the engines longevity. I dont need more power out of the truck, I just want to improve fuel economy. I'f I was going to put a tune on it, it would be either Economy or Towing. What kind of RWHP do you think my truck would be making with the listed upgrades:

DIY intake mod W/AFE filter
MBRP 5" straight pipe W/DPF delete
with a tow tune or economy tune.

I wouldnt exepect it to make much more than stock, which is fine, because I dont drive like I used to about 20-25 years ago.

Would the Transgo shift kit be necessary?

I would also like to add that we camp about an hour from our house, pulling a 9-10k LB travel trailer with about 1500LBS in the bed of the truck + passengers. about half of that is highway, with a few big climbs, and then the other half is about a 25- 30% grade @ 10-15KMH. Its all gravel, and the road gets grated every year (stupid people in their 2wd cars trying to make it up). I never had a problem with my 05 cummins, so I dont expect to have a problem with this truck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The best fuel economy comes from an increased hp tune, not the stock settings.

If your considering EFI Live you can get a DSP5 switch with 5 tunes to your liking. You can have a stock, towing, economy, street, race, valet or anti theft as some have it. Not to mention a turbo brake for when you tow.

The only other Tuner I would suggest other than EFI is the Edge Race CTS. But since they have ceased production I would source one still available with the vendors on here before there gone completely. Has everything you want with gauges, turbo brake, and the ability to read and clear codes, relearn the Allison and accesories like a back up camera and more.

The stock intake can support 500HP, so unless you will feel better with an aftermarket its your call.

Trans-go is needed if your going to tune your truck with 90hp+ tunes, but is good insurance even if you don't.

If engine longevity is your goal, an EGR blocker and PCV re-route is essential. These duramax motors are stout, so adding a little HP will not hurt the longevity of the motor. Deleting the DPF is a step in that direction.

I get the best Economy on my 90HP tune.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I want to maintain the engines longevity. I dont need more power out of the truck, I just want to improve fuel economy. I'f I was going to put a tune on it, it would be either Economy or Towing. What kind of RWHP do you think my truck would be making with the listed upgrades:

DIY intake mod W/AFE filter
MBRP 5" straight pipe W/DPF delete
with a tow tune or economy tune.

I wouldnt exepect it to make much more than stock, which is fine, because I dont drive like I used to about 20-25 years ago.

Would the Transgo shift kit be necessary?

I would also like to add that we camp about an hour from our house, pulling a 9-10k LB travel trailer with about 1500LBS in the bed of the truck + passengers. about half of that is highway, with a few big climbs, and then the other half is about a 25- 30% grade @ 10-15KMH. Its all gravel, and the road gets grated every year (stupid people in their 2wd cars trying to make it up). I never had a problem with my 05 cummins, so I dont expect to have a problem with this truck.
EFI Live tunes are custom for your needs, if you want economy and towing tunes I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I get an average of 19.7 mpg mixed driving on my 90hp dd tune and have a high of 24 mpg.

As for towing, you can have a turbo brake incorporated into the truck which will reduce wear on brakes.

DO NOT put an aftermarket filter, the stock filter flows equivalent air up to around 500hp. It traps more particles and smaller particles. The stock filter is cheaper and aftermarket filters have a tendency to wreak havoc on NAF sensors.

The transgo jr isn't necessary, but for the price is a good upgrade. I try to weigh cost vs potential savings and a new trans is expensive.

I'm particular about my maintenance and run good filters, never buy into extended drain intervals, etc. Maintenance is cheap insurance.

Here are mods I would recommend for you.

-Exhaust with muffler
-Air Dog2 165 (filtration and reduced wear on cp3)
-EFI Live tunes from someone with a lot of experience that makes safe tunes for longevity.
-Edge Insight CTS to monitor your truck
-Transgo Jr
-EGR delete is a good idea to if you can get away with it.

My tunes are as follow from Idaho Rob

1. Anti-theft - Starts for cold/hot days, but won't go above idle.
2. Tow - 50hp w/turbo brake
3. Daily Driver - 90hp - 19.x mpg average city / freeway. Hand Calculated over 10k miles or so.
4. 110hp
5. 150hp

You may consider a 90hp w/turbo brake or optimized stock in place of the 150hp. Then keep the 110hp for those days you want to show off.

I've never limped my trans on any tune and I've drive them pretty hard playing around.

Not sure on RWHP, but Dustin or Rob could give you an idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All this is starting to make sense. I will definitely look into EFI live when my truck rolls 160. The transmission thing makes sense. I was looking into building the 48re in my previous truck, but I decided she was gettin a bit old, and I wanted a dually for the crosswinds we get here in the fraser valley. I was gonna go with Rob for tunes. As for exhaust, a muffler actually sounds like a good idea, considering our houses are fairly closely packed together and I have some pretty bitchy neighbors :/ as for EGR delete, thats not an issue. I live in BC canada, and they never do emissions tests here. If the truck ever needs aircaring, Ill just up the GVW like I did my other truck. The 90hp W/ turbo brake actually sounds like a really good idea. It will save me money on an engine brake from BD. How much to the Transgo JR's go for? Im new to the world of Duramax's so Ive got NOOO idea. Actually thats a Lie, I had an 04 work truck that I had for a couple months. BD diesel told me it needed all new injectors, when it actually only needed a factory reflash :/ Only thing to do now is wait for it to roll 160.

My new list:

-5" MBRP full exhaust W/ CAT and EGR delete
-EFI live W/DSP5 switch tuned by Rob
-Edge Insight CTS
-EGR delete
-Possible Transgo Shiftkit
-30-33" Toyo A/T's
-Possible Airdog2 165

Can I do the tranny relearn with EFI live?

Im really maticulous on maintenance. I do everything myself (or used to.... Good ol' 5.9's) , and Always use Manufacturer filters, and Rotella T oil. Oh and thats another question, what kind of oil should I use in this thing? Ive heard of people having ticking problems with Rotella T.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
All this is starting to make sense. I will definitely look into EFI live when my truck rolls 160. The transmission thing makes sense. I was looking into building the 48re in my previous truck, but I decided she was gettin a bit old, and I wanted a dually for the crosswinds we get here in the fraser valley. I was gonna go with Rob for tunes. As for exhaust, a muffler actually sounds like a good idea, considering our houses are fairly closely packed together and I have some pretty bitchy neighbors :/ as for EGR delete, thats not an issue. I live in BC canada, and they never do emissions tests here. If the truck ever needs aircaring, Ill just up the GVW like I did my other truck. The 90hp W/ turbo brake actually sounds like a really good idea. It will save me money on an engine brake from BD. How much to the Transgo JR's go for? Im new to the world of Duramax's so Ive got NOOO idea. Actually thats a Lie, I had an 04 work truck that I had for a couple months. BD diesel told me it needed all new injectors, when it actually only needed a factory reflash :/ Only thing to do now is wait for it to roll 160.

My new list:

-5" MBRP full exhaust W/ CAT and EGR delete
-EFI live W/DSP5 switch tuned by Rob
-Edge Insight CTS
-EGR delete
-Possible Transgo Shiftkit
-30-33" Toyo A/T's
-Possible Airdog2 165

Can I do the tranny relearn with EFI live?

Im really maticulous on maintenance. I do everything myself (or used to.... Good ol' 5.9's) , and Always use Manufacturer filters, and Rotella T oil. Oh and thats another question, what kind of oil should I use in this thing? Ive heard of people having ticking problems with Rotella T.
How close are you to 160?

Our trucks are quiet and you can look right through a 5" muffler, even put your arm through it. It only has an effect on freeway drone. The 5" is quiet IMO unless you get on it real hard which I'm sure you won't do around your neighbors.

Manufacturer filters are a good starting point, here are my recommendations.

Air - Donaldson, there is an online web page that carries them for half the dealer. Most companies including GM package and re-sell Donaldson or WIX filters.
Oil - AC Delco, Amsoil, Baldwin, Donaldson, or I hear Mobil is good as well.
Fuel - AC Delco or Racor
Trans - Allison

You'll find our online vendors have very competitive pricing. I'm not a fan of WIX filters personally. Remember not all filters are the same and the differences are ones you can't see.

Oil is quite a debate, I'll stay out of that one. I hear Petro Canada is a great oil if you have it readily available.

Once you delete the DPF you will be amazed, the truck is a completely new truck. It is like going from an Impala to a Corvette IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Our trucks are quiet and you can look right through a 5" muffler, even put your arm through it. It only has an effect on freeway drone. The 5" is quiet IMO unless you get on it real hard which I'm sure you won't do around your neighbors.

Air - Donaldson, there is an online web page that carries them for half the dealer. Most companies including GM package and re-sell Donaldson or WIX filters.
Fuel - AC Delco or Racor
Trans - Allison

You'll find our online vendors have very competitive pricing. I'm not a fan of WIX filters personally. Remember not all filters are the same and the differences are ones you can't see.

Oil is quite a debate, I'll stay out of that one. I hear Petro Canada is a great oil if you have it readily available.

Once you delete the DPF you will be amazed, the truck is a completely new truck. It is like going from an Impala to a Corvette IMO.
The only truck I didnt get Manufacturer filters for was the Cummins. I bought napa oil/fuel filters, and Mopar/dodge transmission filters. I always used Rotella T in my diesels, and ive never had a problem. I heard DELO (chevron) was good oil for these trucks. I read that alot about the dpf. I want to get my truck to sound like this

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Fuel - AC Delco or Racor
Trans - Allison

Im at 126 right now, So id say about a year.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
The only truck I didnt get Manufacturer filters for was the Cummins. I bought napa oil/fuel filters, and Mopar/dodge transmission filters. I always used Rotella T in my diesels, and ive never had a problem. I heard DELO (chevron) was good oil for these trucks. I read that alot about the dpf. I want to get my truck to sound like this
9 LMM DIESEL PPE, EFI TUNE, 6 INCH MBRP EXHAUST DPF DELETE - YouTube
Make sure you send that video to Rob when you order your tuning so he know exactly what you are looking for. Mine will turn to a nice rumble shortly after starting except for the vane checks.

There is a lot of oil debate, just make sure you run a DPF compatible oil until you remove it. After that it won't matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure you send that video to Rob when you order your tuning so he know exactly what you are looking for. Mine will turn to a nice rumble shortly after starting except for the vane checks.

There is a lot of oil debate, just make sure you run a DPF compatible oil until you remove it. After that it won't matter.
Alright. I'd do all the stuff to it now but I dont want to risk having an un-warrantied repair that could cost in excess of 15 grand...

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Alright. I'd do all the stuff to it now but I dont want to risk having an un-warrantied repair that could cost in excess of 15 grand...
I understand, I was in the same place, but decided removing everything was the best option for me. Due to the method of regeneration on the LMM platform I made the gamble that removing it now will prolong the life after I'm past my warranty period.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts