Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking at the 04's crew cabs came across one with 158,000 miles. i want to add a mbrp 4 in exhuast with a 5 in tip but not sure what programmer to go with what do you guys say idk to much about the programmers. i dont tow alot all im looking for is black smoke power and good gas miles as i drive 40 miles back and forth to work 5 days a week any ideas would be very helpful thanks Andrew

·
Registered
542 Posts
any programmer will work well if you just want some extra power to drive around with. you can't add more than 100hp over stock though, or you WILL blow your trans very quickly.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yeah and check the vin number.. The 8th digit designates the engine code. Seeing as its an 04, you would want to hope its an LLY to steer clear of any injector worries. I cant remember what letter tells the difference between lly and lb7 off the top of my head though. Maybe someone else could chime in with that info. Exhaust is a good place to start. Dont waste your good money on a programmer though. Call up idaho rob or nick at duramaxtuner and have them ship you a pre programmed ecm with an EFI live dsp5 setup. No matter what programmer you would get you'll just end up wanting EFI live anyways.. Not to mention they run a little smoother than box programmers, and at least in my experiences have pushed much better mpg's than a box tuner. And you can switch tunes with the simple click of a switch on the fly :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
8th digit will tell you i believe the lb7 is a 1 and lly is a 2

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yep thats it. 2 is the LLY. I almost said it was D, but thats the lbz.. The lb7 is a great motor dont get me wrong, I just did NOT want to have to worry about possibly losing injectors. No EGR or anything on the lb7 though so thats a bonus. Now I look back on it.. Wouldnt have mattered much really because my heads are coming off soon anyways for studs and bigger injectors. You do have to pay caution to the head gaskets on the LLY though.. Way I looked at it was this- $4k injectors or $2k for head gaskets.. Gaskets are cheaper at least. Honestly if you can afford an 06+ (lbz) then do it up. The trans is a lot better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea my cousin has a 04 duramax and that was the first thing he told me make sure the 8th digit is 2 on the vin cuz its the better motor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dave, are your headgaskets blown? or just upgrading ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an lly with 5" exhaust stacks, quad s2 programmer on 110hp. just gotta watch the last shift, never limped it yet and had it on for over a year. Smokes a little til the turbo lights but love the all around driveability. and i have almost 200,000 miles now.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
dave, are your headgaskets blown? or just upgrading ?
I just want studs.. I'm hopefully gonna be upgrading my turbo this winter, and if I have the cash I'll do studs and gaskets too. If not, I'll crank her up to 42 pounds of boost and see how long it'll hold together.. Pushing power I am sure its not "if" its "when" will my headgaskets go. haha.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you get an 04.5-05, one of the first mods you want to look into is the mouthpiece. Even before a cold air intake look into the mouthpiece. The lly has a very restricted mouthpiece and it holds the engine back some. Check out the info on the killerbee performance website about find air untamed and mouthpieces. I am not telling you to buy or not to buy from them but they have really good info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Meant intake not untamed (stupid smartphone)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts