Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I’d like to say I have basically no knowledge of Diesel engines and I appreciate any helpful input. Basically my truck was totaled, I own a business and need a truck to haul Skidsteers a all the time. I’m sick of running gassers but have no real knowledge of diesels. I’m looking at an older truck (‘02 duramax with 223000 for $9k). From my research it seems the price is ok, but I’ve also read to be careful buying trucks with tuners. I have no idea how to use a tuner or what to look for. At face value it seems like the truck was taken care of, it’s one owner, and had the injectors changed within last 20k miles and has paperwork. If I buy a diesel I’m really interested in educating myself about them and probably will end up not buying a gas vehicle again, but at this point I need some help. I know there are a lot of variables that could make the truck I’m looking at not be worth it but if someone could be so kind to check out this ad and tell me if I would be wasting my money to the best of your ability it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance, I don’t mean to just come to this forum with no previous posts get help and never come back, but at this point I could use a little Guidance. https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-silverado-ls-2500hd-4wd-crew-cab/7010953351.html

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Go for it.
A few misguided mods, but nothing major.

It would be good to know who's tunes they are.
The tow tune is a bit high for heavy towing;
Okay for under 10k, but 10k+ should be in the 25-30hp range...more and it's easy to break something. Keep your foot out of it if you do.

Your gonna be dancin' down the road when you feel how easy it is to drag a skid steer behind a Dmax...vs the gasser you've suffered through.

Peruse the maintenance forum section for the what for. Keep your fuel clean and your fluids maintained and it'll be problem free for many more miles. (200k isn't anything)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the response. I’m guessing that one of the most important things is the injectors have been replaced within 20k miles?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm the original owner of my 2002. I've put 11,9xx hours and 407,XXX miles on it. 200k miles is barely broke-in if it's been well maintained.

There are some front end parts like pitman arm and idler arm as well as upper ball joints that you'll want to watch at that mileage if they haven't already been replaced.

As far as injectors. It seems to vary by truck or maybe location... who knows. Some folks / trucks go thru a set of injectors in about 40,000 miles or so. Others get 200,000+ on a set. My truck goes right at 80k miles on a set. Every set has been 80k+/- 2-3 thousand miles. My brother has a 2003 that he bought new. His goes about 125k miles on a set. It would be nice to know how many times the injectors on that truck have been changed so far if you can get that info. If only once, chances are you're great. If twice, that's still pretty good. Also would want to know if the injectors just installed were Bosch remans or some other brand. Some of the other brands not so good. Bosch, good to go.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How bad is the rust?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
He said the first person that gives him $8000 can take it
That means he'll likely be willing to take $7K, that gives you $2K to take care of any little issues. Take a close look at the truck and ask to start it up after it's been sitting overnight. Look for haze in the exhaust and check oil for diesel fuel-sniff test or place a drop of oil on a paper towel and look for fuel ring. Check with a good code reader. Drive it long enough to see how everything is when it's fully warmed up. If it's lifted, make sure it tracks straight and the suspension takes bumps OK.

Reactions: JimmyD

·
Registered
106 Posts
You'll love the difference in towing! If you can get the 7-8K price you'll have some money to do a once over and ensure you have all the consumables and wear items replaced and know where you stand. Also encourage you to find a good diesel shop in the area that can help with bigger issues if you run into them down the road. However, there's A LOT of knowledge here to learn from and it's encouraged me to take on some projects over the years that I might not have otherwise.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Underbody has a lot of surface rust, other than that very minimal.

the rockers and cab corners are notorious for rusting out on those trucks, i would wonder if those nice diamond plate rocker guards are covering something up. In a couple of the size pictures you can see rust in the cab corners that appears to be hidden by the rocker covers to some degree. Aside from that, it looks like its in over all quite good shape for its age. I saw the amp and sub pictures, i get a little worried when i see fuses next to the amp and the same size wire going in and coming out. Make sure there is a fuse under the hood since i dont see one in the following picture. Parking brake cable looks like its out of commission as well from one picture. Overall, i would likely buy it. Even if it needs rockers and corners, so long as you can do the work yourself, or dont care about the rust its a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m still up and down about the 01. I actually am now considering an ‘08 2500hd with 203,000. But it’s $17,500. I know this is the start of the frowned upon years due to the emissions stuff. What does everyone think? Stick with the old gen 1 or get an LTZ? I’m using it for work, not really going to turn it into a 16 year old fuck off vehicle. All input is appreciated. Here’s the link
https://www.wildehonda.com/inventor...0hd-ltz-4wd-crew-cab-pickup-1gchk23648f200428 I really appreciate all of your input. Really grateful you are taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
IMO they put flares around the wheel wells to hide it's rusted out. 07 to 10 the paint quality is awful. Get down and look up just in front of the rear tires. These trucks rust from the inside out.

Wisconsin has to be the worst state I have ever driven when it comes to over use of salt in the winter.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I’m still up and down about the 01. I actually am now considering an ‘08 2500hd with 203,000. But it’s $17,500. I know this is the start of the frowned upon years due to the emissions stuff. What does everyone think? Stick with the old gen 1 or get an LTZ? I’m using it for work, not really going to turn it into a 16 year old fuck off vehicle. All input is appreciated. Here’s the link
https://www.wildehonda.com/inventor...0hd-ltz-4wd-crew-cab-pickup-1gchk23648f200428 I really appreciate all of your input. Really grateful you are taking the time to help me.
I've got a 08 LMM with 194,000 miles and no issues so far with the DPF or anything else engine or tranny wise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well finally made my diesel purchase. Went with an LMM. I appreciate all of your advice and things to look for, it helped. Super excited about it, this forum seems great, hopefully I learn everything there is to know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would imagine the diamond plate covers on the rockers are coving up some pretty good rust. At that point you want to think about brake lines. The rest of the body looks good.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. One good thing about the '08 is that it is a pre-DEF truck. If you do a lot of towing the LMM should be quite dependable with emissions intact.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts