Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just got back on Sunday from the first trip with the 4500HD. I weighed the truck a couple of weeks ago to see what weight was with full fuel, tools but no bodies inside. 11082 lbs. Hauled the 8 horse trailer to Waco and back and averaged 9.5-10.3 mpg. running 60-65 with the cruise. I am not one to quibble over mileage in trucks, but thought that wasn't bad for the weights I was hauling.
Truck ran great, pulled nice and even though it is less HP and torque than a L5P, it wasn't noticeable.
I had one small problem with the truck when I got it with the steering-- it was like trying to herd cats in a lane. Dealer got with GM and they changed the steering box-- problem solved. Now it drives like a on ton on steroids.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you to "Ineedabiggertrailer" for posting the pics.
Flatbed is 11'2" and 8 wide

The 8 horse was made by 4-Star to our specs. Nice thing about them is they will build it just about any way you want. Then even ran the camera wiring for me during build. We have another 4-Star as well-- a 3 horse. I have pulled several brands and really like the quality of these trailers.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Just got back on Sunday from the first trip with the 4500HD. I weighed the truck a couple of weeks ago to see what weight was with full fuel, tools but no bodies inside. 11082 lbs. Hauled the 8 horse trailer to Waco and back and averaged 9.5-10.3 mpg. running 60-65 with the cruise. I am not one to quibble over mileage in trucks, but thought that wasn't bad for the weights I was hauling.
Truck ran great, pulled nice and even though it is less HP and torque than a L5P, it wasn't noticeable.
I had one small problem with the truck when I got it with the steering-- it was like trying to herd cats in a lane. Dealer got with GM and they changed the steering box-- problem solved. Now it drives like a on ton on steroids.
How does the new truck drive and ride compared to the Peterbilt?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It drives like the one ton we had with a little heavier steering and braking. The ride quality compared to the Pete is alot smoother and not as jarring. The Pete had air on the rear with a half-spring but a 12K front axle. When loaded it rode nice on the rear but the front would rattle your teeth on road joints etc.
The 4500 we use to haul but we also just drive it into town just as we would with the 1500 we have-- parking is a bitch on it though and not because of the size(although that is a small factor) but because of the turning radius. Because it is a 4WD using a Dana/Spicer axle, the turn angle is limited by the ujoints in the spindles whereas most 4WD trucks use a CV style joint. This is the only thing we had to get used to when towing or parking and brush off our 3-point turn skills.
Nice thing about the long bed is how far behind the cab the goose is-- can crank the truck about 60 deg. before you would have to worry about cabcorners.
We are really happy with the truck. All the running gear and frame are assembled/made by Navistar with GM supplying cab,engine,trans,and all electronics. Interior is identical to the 2500/3500 trucks with a few more AUX switches. Well made and beefy components with nice assembly quality.
Not a truck for the average guy pulling small trailers, but if you had a big 5th, might be worth looking at if you could use it for other uses as well. If anybody gets one on the forum, holler and I can give you some things I did to this one for my trailer equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
It drives like the one ton we had with a little heavier steering and braking. The ride quality compared to the Pete is alot smoother and not as jarring. The Pete had air on the rear with a half-spring but a 12K front axle. When loaded it rode nice on the rear but the front would rattle your teeth on road joints etc.
The 4500 we use to haul but we also just drive it into town just as we would with the 1500 we have-- parking is a bitch on it though and not because of the size(although that is a small factor) but because of the turning radius. Because it is a 4WD using a Dana/Spicer axle, the turn angle is limited by the ujoints in the spindles whereas most 4WD trucks use a CV style joint. This is the only thing we had to get used to when towing or parking and brush off our 3-point turn skills.
Nice thing about the long bed is how far behind the cab the goose is-- can crank the truck about 60 deg. before you would have to worry about cabcorners.
We are really happy with the truck. All the running gear and frame are assembled/made by Navistar with GM supplying cab,engine,trans,and all electronics. Interior is identical to the 2500/3500 trucks with a few more AUX switches. Well made and beefy components with nice assembly quality.
Not a truck for the average guy pulling small trailers, but if you had a big 5th, might be worth looking at if you could use it for other uses as well. If anybody gets one on the forum, holler and I can give you some things I did to this one for my trailer equipment.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Due to the size of my camper (40 ft) I have been kicking around the idea of moving out of the LMM and into either a Pete or KW. However, after reading your response, I very well may change my strategy as the last thing that I want is a rough riding truck when empty. May take a look at the 4500.

Thanks again. Good luck with your good looking new ride.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would definitely look at one for what you want to do. If you didn't need 4WD it will probably steer slightly tighter. Wish I had drove a 2WD just for comparison but we need the 4WD. Inside, you would feel like you just got in a new 2019 Silverado 3500. I loved my Pete,(wife didn't because of ride) but we only used it when we had to take big trailer to horse shows, so it just sat mostly except when I drove it to keep things working. Costs me about 1700.00 per year insurance for it and the trailer. The 4500 costs me 1200 for it and trailer. AND I can use it for other things like taking 2 parking spaces at anywhere we go in town.
Just so you have something to go by: I paid $72K for the truck including the flatbed and having the bed rhino lined.It comes with a spare front wheel/tire assy. which in my case are Alcoas.
Holler if you have any questions Jimmy

John

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
John, thanks again for all of the info.

You have been a great help.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I will and put it in the album-- don't know how to attach to my posts yet

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did the first oil change @ 1750 miles. The engine is a L5D and uses a PF-26 filter. Same quantity oil, but because of the access to the engine due to the tilt hood, it is WAY easier to pour in without oiling the valve cover. Absolutely the easiest oil change I've done in years-- truck sits high enough with nothing hanging down except transfer case so its a breeze to crawl under AND turn over to reach anything.
Did a little research on the axles made by Spicer, and discovered that the model # in this truck has a GAWR of 14K but GM shows it at 11K. Front has a rating of 9K but GM shows 7500. Must be some trickery by GM to allow usage of same components but rate them different for different models of the medium dutys.
Very happy with the truck-- it does everything we need and gets a lot of attention wherever we go-- not many CC 4X4 4500HD's out there yet I guess. I know we have the only one in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am I screwed?

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today. I just bought the 4500HD crew cab 4x4 as well. The "medium duty" expert at the dealership sold me on the 4500HD. I was considering buying another 3500HD but with 4.10 gears this time. I have a 2018 3500HD crew cab 4x4 Duramax with 3.73 gears and plan on keeping this truck as a backup. The dealer had a 4500HD there as well and told me that the transmission comes with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. I thought to myself this is too good to be true. And I was right. The day I went to do the deal I told the expert that I couldn't find any verification online on this warranty and he still can't find it written anywhere but he ensures me that it does certainly come with the 5 year unlimited mile transmission warranty.
I think I'm screwed though. At least from what I can decipher from what I've read so far. From the build sheet and the RPO codes my truck and I assume other 4500's haul less weight than the 3500's even with 3.73 gears. The build sheet say that my GCWR is 26,000 pounds. I knew these new medium duty trucks had less power and torque,but how could they also be allowed to haul less weight than the 3500? Just one look at the 4500 next to the 3500 and who could argue that the big truck can't haul as much as the smaller truck?

I haul a 48 foot enclosed goose-neck trailer 9,000 to 10,000 miles per month. And the trailer with the cargo ranges from 8,500 pounds empty to roughly 18,000 pounds full. On average it's 15,000 pounds.
According to the Chassis Cab brochure my GCWR is only 26,000 pounds because I also have the 1700RDS transmission and the 11,000 pound rear axle.
Sorry to keep rambling on. I learned this at my old job...if I sit down and write down my thoughts and feeling without sending them (to my old boss) it ]'s like venting.

I would just like to know if I get pulled over I'm not going to get fined.

Maybe Chevy is in cahoots with the DOT and FMCSA!
BTW I do have a class A for this setup.

Hank

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
There is no law to violate in exceeding the (suggested) gross COMBINED weight ratings.
I regularly exceed the factory 'suggestion' by 10k lbs on the 3500.

A lower combined rating compared to the 3500, is probably because the MD truck weighs considerably more empty than the 3500 did.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today. I just bought the 4500HD crew cab 4x4 as well. The "medium duty" expert at the dealership sold me on the 4500HD. I was considering buying another 3500HD but with 4.10 gears this time. I have a 2018 3500HD crew cab 4x4 Duramax with 3.73 gears and plan on keeping this truck as a backup. The dealer had a 4500HD there as well and told me that the transmission comes with a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. I thought to myself this is too good to be true. And I was right. The day I went to do the deal I told the expert that I couldn't find any verification online on this warranty and he still can't find it written anywhere but he ensures me that it does certainly come with the 5 year unlimited mile transmission warranty.
I think I'm screwed though. At least from what I can decipher from what I've read so far. From the build sheet and the RPO codes my truck and I assume other 4500's haul less weight than the 3500's even with 3.73 gears. The build sheet say that my GCWR is 26,000 pounds. I knew these new medium duty trucks had less power and torque,but how could they also be allowed to haul less weight than the 3500? Just one look at the 4500 next to the 3500 and who could argue that the big truck can't haul as much as the smaller truck?

I haul a 48 foot enclosed goose-neck trailer 9,000 to 10,000 miles per month. And the trailer with the cargo ranges from 8,500 pounds empty to roughly 18,000 pounds full. On average it's 15,000 pounds.
According to the Chassis Cab brochure my GCWR is only 26,000 pounds because I also have the 1700RDS transmission and the 11,000 pound rear axle.
Sorry to keep rambling on. I learned this at my old job...if I sit down and write down my thoughts and feeling without sending them (to my old boss) it ]'s like venting.

Hank
Ford F450 and F350 are like that on paper also. Look at the wheels, tires, axles, and brakes you'll see the 4500 is much beefier all around but built for towing #'s not hauling #'s. Personally for private use, you can load a 4500 much more than a 3500.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hank
Look in your paperwork that came with the truck-- on page 3 of the Allison warranty info look at the bottom-- 5 years P&L unlimited mileage ( within the 5 years)..I also have a 1700RDS and if you look at the P/N of the rear axle per Spicer it is rated at 14K and my GM paperwork says its rated at 19K. The front is rated by GM at 7500 (all 4X4's) but Spicer says 9K.

My paperwork shows a GVWR for the truck of 16500. Notice I didn't say GCWR. My truck with a 11 ft. CM bed, fuel fuel, tools in both boxes showed 11082 on a cat scale and my hitch weight is 3450. My 8 horse trailer GVWR is 23K.
Truck pulls that like a dream. It has Alcoas on it and they are rated at 5k each, and the tires are rated at 4K each. Gets 9.2-10.5 mpg if you're into that. Don't care how much DEF-- just fill when I get back from 300 mile trips and it never uses more than a couple of quarts.

If you really want to know what truck you have--go to GM Upfitters and download the body manual for 4500. In the first few pages it has a VIN decode chart.. Per that chart, my truck is actually a Class 5 truck and has 19500 brakes on it.

Holler if I can answer anything else. Did you get the LT or WT? I posted some info on the Topkick/Kodiac forum here.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Hank
There is no law to violate in exceeding the (suggested) gross COMBINED weight ratings.
I regularly exceed the factory 'suggestion' by 10k lbs on the 3500.

A lower combined rating compared to the 3500, is probably because the MD truck weighs considerably more empty than the 3500 did.
What Hook said.

To elaborate, it's the sum of the truck and trailer GVWRs -- not the GCWR which, like payload and towing capacity, is not legally enforceable -- that's subject to enforcement. Your setup sounds perfectly legal to me, regardless of it being for personal or commercial use.

Note that GAWRs and tire load capacities are also enforceable, but you shouldn't be anywhere near those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you very much Sambor!!! I missed that Table. I feel relieved now about the transmission warranty. Like your truck Sambor, my trucks' RPO code says I have a Class 5 GVW/brake system too.

I didn't realize that GCWR is a suggested value.'dunno; Like I said just looking at the size of the 4500 I didn't think I'd get harassed, I just wanted some documentation if I ever do get stopped.

I do run commercially and have a DOT number. Back when I started, an Ohio CMV cop told me I needed IFTA because the GVW of the truck is 13,000 pounds and my trailer is 21,000 pounds and those 2 totals is more than 26,001 pounds. I've been over that weight maybe twice and only by a few hundred pounds. It's not that bad. My quarterly fees are usually less than $80.
I'm going to weigh my truck today before I register it with NY. My truck is the 175" WB, crew cab 4x4 with 4.30 gears and an aluminum CM gooseneck body.

Thank you everybody for your replies!!!
Hank

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Post some pics-- would like to see one with the alum. bed. Mine is the 17WB as well so I assume your bed is about 11 ft. like mine?
I also have a CDL because of the weight I haul, but could "probably" get by without it with this truck instead of the Pete I used to have.
Hope you like the truck-- we really like ours and it pulls the big trailer with no sweat.

If you need any info on those spare "AUX" switches in the panel holler-- I wired my trailer cameras/monitor to the #1 switch with a special plug you can find online.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts