Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

looking at new 4500/5500/6500

42K views 92 replies 19 participants last post by  sambor 
#1 ·
Anybody looked into towing weights on these trucks? Dealers don't have much in the way of info yet. Looked at a 4500HD CC 4X4 today-- very nice truck. We are thinking of trading our Pete 337 and the 2019 3500HD in on one if we can figure out which model will haul a 23K GVWR GN horse trailer safely. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on this?
Come on Hook-em, help a fellow Texan out-- I know you probably know this stuff

#3 ·
Just curious, why the move out of the Pete?

#4 ·
Wife doesn't like driving it and refuses to get her CDL for it. Me personally I love the truck. A little bit of overkill with our trailers but sure is nice to know it is up to the task. She says if we get one of the new medium duty Chevys she will get her CDL for that because the interior and controls are just like her 3500.
From what I can figure from what GM has published, I believe that a 4500 will work. The 8 horse has a hitch weight of 3450 all loaded to max GVWR of 23K. The 4500 with the 430 rear is good for 34K. Truck curb weight is going to be around 11K after a flatbed is installed.

#6 ·
Not a bad Idea Henry. Wonder when the specs will be published for the weights. All 3 models use the same frames/engines etc. GM uses different trans and rear gears and some suspension changes to accommodate different weights. I would have thought the 4500 would have a higher GVWR. Not that much more than a 3500-- just better built for the weight.

#7 ·
I would have thought the 4500 would have a higher GVWR. Not that much more than a 3500-- just better built for the weight.
4k lbs isn't much of a difference?

#8 ·
Come on Hook-em, help a fellow Texan out-- I know you probably know this stuff
The advantage to the MD vs the 3500 has always been the load carrying capacity. Not so much in trailering. In fact, based on their published specs, many times it has less towing capacity than the 3500, but it will handle a much higher pin weight. Of which, the two go hand in hand.

Depending on what rear end/trans you choose, looking at the spec sheet for the MD, it shows GVWR of 15k / 16k / 16.5k
with a GCWR of only 26k / 30k
I suspect that 30k combined is NOT with the 4:30 rear you drove.

You're projected empty weight of 11k, only leaves 15k / 19k for a trailer...per the specs, towing less than the 3500.

It's not the same motor in the MD as the 3500....several things are different; turbo, lesser tuning output, etc.
As well as a different transmission too (depending on your option selected).
It's designed to get the load moving off the line.

Which is what the 2020 3500 is claiming with the 10-spd paired with the 3:42(?) rear vs the std 3:73 for the last 19 years....getting the load moving with ease.

#9 ·
30k trailer wont be an issue behind either of the 3 4500/5500/6500 chasiss..
I have a build sheet for a 6500HD with RDS2700 Allison 4.30 gears and 225/75/19.5 should put cruise @70mph ~@1900 rpm
I was upper 60K for a RC 2wd 23.5K truck.. 4x4/CC pushing 80k
the print out is 22,940 GVWR with 8k/15.5k axles and a 26k GCWR.. big face palm. the dana S16-130 rear axle has a 50,000lb GVWR same with the RDS2500/rds2550 is the closest listed for 30/33k... that's off Allison's website...
IMO GM jipped us on the numbers game... and they have been doing it for a while now

Reactions: sambor
#10 ·
I looked at a 4500 with a 7500# front axle(standard on a 4X4) and 11000# rear. It does have the 430 rear set. Trans is the A1750HS.

The truck I am estimating will weigh 11K curb( all loaded without trailer) It is a CC, 4X4 cab-chassis and weighs 9100#. Still have to install a flatbed on it.

As for the engine, it is "detuned" from the L5P to 350HP to meet emissions requirements for this class of trucks according to GM literature.

Too bad you can't get air susp. on a 4X4 even on just the rear.

#11 ·
Too bad it has to be registered/insured as a commercial vehicle. I'm anxious to see how the 3500 dually's fair.

#12 ·
Here in Texas we can register it as a farm truck. Did that with the Pete. But the normal insurance carriers wouldn't touch the Pete so I went with Progressive and to insure it and the 8 horse trailer is 1628.00 per year.

I expect it will be about the same with a new 4500 although it will have less weight capacity than the Pete so maybe less I hope.

Why would you expect the 3500's to change? My 2019 3500 is good for GCWR of 31300 already. Which ,by the way, puts it in CDL required.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Is that for the 3500? Seems like alot of weight for a one ton truck.

#16 ·
Well, I got the 2019 CC 4X4 4500HD cab and chassis. Still needs to get the flatbed installed and bedliner sprayed on that. I have to put my trailer camera wiring harness in it and the monitor in the cab and supply power from the batteries to the disc brake hydraulic pump on the horse trailer when I get the truck in my hands.

Just for info: the front axle has manual locking hubs-- with an electronic shift in the cab. Trans is the Allison 1700RDS, 430 rear, and 11K rear axle. Build sheet shows GAWF as 8K and GAWR as 19K. Door sticker has 7500/11K respectively. Not sure how or why they did that.
It has the Duramax L5D. The 50 degree cut on the steering tire on the left side is great to get to the engine, but forget the right side-- too much in the way.

Truck drives nice-- like a 3500 on steroids!

Reactions: Black HD
#17 ·
I took delivery of the 4500HD today. CM flatbed was installed and I always have the bed and headboard rhino lined to keep feed sacks and such on board. What a nice truck! Not alot of difference in ride quality from the 3500HD we traded but we prefer that type of ride.
One thing we noticed right off-- when you step on the brake pedal without the engine running it has an electric pump that comes on and stays on as long as you press the pedal.
You can only get 2 trim levels: WT and LT which is the one we have and both come with the vinyl floor covering. It is a 199" W.B. with 84" cab to axle with 49" behind that. Makes for about an 11 FT. bed.
It has 19.5 X 6.5 ALcoas with Goodyear 225/70R19.5 14ply G rated with almost 4K load rating. The 7500# front axle is a manual locking hub type made by Dana/Spicer. Truck also has the electronic transfer case shift in the dash.
Engine is the Duramax L5D: 350HP and 700 LBS torque. It seems just about as peppy as the L5P in the 3500. We'll see when we hook it up to the trailer how it works. Still have to install the rear view camera in the headache rack to see the hitch and wire the truck for our trailer cameras.

#19 ·
If I was smart enough to figure out how to post pics I would post some up. Mama told me I ain't that smart!

#20 ·
Mikey, look at the gallery under farm trucks. If I did it correctly there are 3 pics of truck.

#22 ·
Just got back on Sunday from the first trip with the 4500HD. I weighed the truck a couple of weeks ago to see what weight was with full fuel, tools but no bodies inside. 11082 lbs. Hauled the 8 horse trailer to Waco and back and averaged 9.5-10.3 mpg. running 60-65 with the cruise. I am not one to quibble over mileage in trucks, but thought that wasn't bad for the weights I was hauling.
Truck ran great, pulled nice and even though it is less HP and torque than a L5P, it wasn't noticeable.
I had one small problem with the truck when I got it with the steering-- it was like trying to herd cats in a lane. Dealer got with GM and they changed the steering box-- problem solved. Now it drives like a on ton on steroids.

Reactions: poosniffer
#26 ·
How does the new truck drive and ride compared to the Peterbilt?

#25 ·
Thank you to "Ineedabiggertrailer" for posting the pics.
Flatbed is 11'2" and 8 wide

The 8 horse was made by 4-Star to our specs. Nice thing about them is they will build it just about any way you want. Then even ran the camera wiring for me during build. We have another 4-Star as well-- a 3 horse. I have pulled several brands and really like the quality of these trailers.

#27 ·
It drives like the one ton we had with a little heavier steering and braking. The ride quality compared to the Pete is alot smoother and not as jarring. The Pete had air on the rear with a half-spring but a 12K front axle. When loaded it rode nice on the rear but the front would rattle your teeth on road joints etc.
The 4500 we use to haul but we also just drive it into town just as we would with the 1500 we have-- parking is a bitch on it though and not because of the size(although that is a small factor) but because of the turning radius. Because it is a 4WD using a Dana/Spicer axle, the turn angle is limited by the ujoints in the spindles whereas most 4WD trucks use a CV style joint. This is the only thing we had to get used to when towing or parking and brush off our 3-point turn skills.
Nice thing about the long bed is how far behind the cab the goose is-- can crank the truck about 60 deg. before you would have to worry about cabcorners.
We are really happy with the truck. All the running gear and frame are assembled/made by Navistar with GM supplying cab,engine,trans,and all electronics. Interior is identical to the 2500/3500 trucks with a few more AUX switches. Well made and beefy components with nice assembly quality.
Not a truck for the average guy pulling small trailers, but if you had a big 5th, might be worth looking at if you could use it for other uses as well. If anybody gets one on the forum, holler and I can give you some things I did to this one for my trailer equipment.

Reactions: jdwarren and MORSNO
#28 ·
Thanks for the detailed response.

Due to the size of my camper (40 ft) I have been kicking around the idea of moving out of the LMM and into either a Pete or KW. However, after reading your response, I very well may change my strategy as the last thing that I want is a rough riding truck when empty. May take a look at the 4500.

Thanks again. Good luck with your good looking new ride.:smile2:

#29 ·
I would definitely look at one for what you want to do. If you didn't need 4WD it will probably steer slightly tighter. Wish I had drove a 2WD just for comparison but we need the 4WD. Inside, you would feel like you just got in a new 2019 Silverado 3500. I loved my Pete,(wife didn't because of ride) but we only used it when we had to take big trailer to horse shows, so it just sat mostly except when I drove it to keep things working. Costs me about 1700.00 per year insurance for it and the trailer. The 4500 costs me 1200 for it and trailer. AND I can use it for other things like taking 2 parking spaces at anywhere we go in town.
Just so you have something to go by: I paid $72K for the truck including the flatbed and having the bed rhino lined.It comes with a spare front wheel/tire assy. which in my case are Alcoas.
Holler if you have any questions Jimmy

John

Reactions: JimmyD and jdwarren
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.