Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I put some wheels and tires on my ride over the weekend and need just a little bit more lift. I already spaced the bumper out about 5/8", and did a NorCal mod, but it still rubs slightly. My question is, could you/or has anyone, installed a Zone 3" Adventure lift, and turned the torsion bars way down, and maybe not even install the rear blocks, or maybe just buy an inch block for the rear (I prefer some rake). I like the Zone, because it comes with new UCA's and a Diff drop. I thought if I went this route, I could lower it down, via torsion bars, to around 1.5"-2", and still have a nice ride, while not putting too much stress on the suspension and steering components.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

20200428_163733.jpg
20200428_163840.jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
Where are you rubbing at?

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Have you tried just turning up the stock torsion key.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you rubbing at?
On the NorCal mod, mostly in reverse. I'm not sure I can take more out and keep the stock plastic fender trim, which I really want to. Also touching my front bumper just enough to rub just a tiny bit of paint off. I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried just turning up the stock torsion key.
A little, but I don't want to compromise my ride or hurt the any suspension/steering components.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If I were you i would trim the plastic valance on the bumper and the inward lip on the front bumper to give you more room up front. you can also pull the fender liner forward with black zip ties. For the rear if you havent you would need to trim the plastic fender trim to give you a lot more room. I did these mods and it opened it up alot. I had a buddy that has an L5P that was looking at my truck and he was talking about if i did any trimming and i physically had to show him what i did cause he couldnt tell. I can post some pictures but it wont be until midnight or so

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
The ride is not changed by the Key, Torsion bars do not get stiffer when you turn them up. What makes the difference in Ride is the angle that the Arm is now set at, think of a short Fulcrum. So even if you put a new key on the angle gets steeper. It is just a matter of whether you have enough bolt to turn up stock key to where you need them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can trim a little off of the front bumper, I'm not against that. But in reverse, the rear is still scraping more than I'd like.
20200429_141911.jpg
20200429_142024.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you i would trim the plastic valance on the bumper and the inward lip on the front bumper to give you more room up front. you can also pull the fender liner forward with black zip ties. For the rear if you havent you would need to trim the plastic fender trim to give you a lot more room. I did these mods and it opened it up alot. I had a buddy that has an L5P that was looking at my truck and he was talking about if i did any trimming and i physically had to show him what i did cause he couldnt tell. I can post some pictures but it wont be until midnight or so
That would be great if you could show me how you trimmed your trim...lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ride is not changed by the Key, Torsion bars do not get stiffer when you turn them up. What makes the difference in Ride is the angle that the Arm is now set at, think of a short Fulcrum. So even if you put a new key on the angle gets steeper. It is just a matter of whether you have enough bolt to turn up stock key to where you need them.
Understandable. And I also understand that I need to have a decent amount of space between the UCA and the frame stop (droop). I noticed that my torsion key bolts show a different reveal, when looking across the cross member. These bolts should be the same length, thus showing very close to the same reveal when looking across the cross member, correct?

Thanks for the input so far guys. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Understandable. And I also understand that I need to have a decent amount of space between the UCA and the frame stop (droop). I noticed that my torsion key bolts show a different reveal, when looking across the cross member. These bolts should be the same length, thus showing very close to the same reveal when looking across the cross member, correct?

Thanks for the input so far guys. Very much appreciated.
No they may not be even, generally you have fuel and a person on the Driver side so they may set just a little different. When I would install keys on a truck I always set them at same fender to floor distance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No they may not be even, generally you have fuel and a person on the Driver side so they may set just a little different. When I would install keys on a truck I always set them at same fender to floor distance.
Understood, and thank you for that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts