Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got my truck a few months ago. It has 4x4 but no tow hitch or fifth wheel or anything. Original owner I got it from just used the bed for his food business.

Anyway, I am looking to put a hitch on it (not 5th wheel). Am thinking of getting a small camper in the near future and also my parents have a small lake boat that i would haul around. So the question is, what type of hitch should i get? Should I just get the class 5? Any brand better than another? Since i'm not looking for anything too crazy should i try and get a used one? I may only tow a hand full of times a year. Any good places to find em up for sale? My LLY is a CCLB so that prob makes them harder to come by. Thanks guys!

-Rich:help

·
Registered
93 Posts
Etrailer.com.Has everything and more of what you need and some stuff you didn't know you wanted.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Etrailer.com.Has everything and more of what you need and some stuff you didn't know you wanted.
X2 Give them a call, they will set you up with everything you will need. Prices are very competitive.:gearjamin

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't skimp on a hitch. Buy new and buy big. The price difference between a crappy class 5 and good one is like $50.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For your LB, the Curt 15512 is an excellent choice. 15k lb Class-V, 2" receiver tube. Bolt on, 20 minutes to install.

Curt HD Hitch
This looks like its right in the budget I have. Is this a decent quality hitch? I mean 175 bucks free shipping seems like a real good deal. I looked on Curts website though and didnt see this one. Is it an older model? Any better or worse than the newer ones.
Anyone have anything similar mounted? What will it look like on my stock truck. About how far sticking out?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one though

Thanks guys.

Rich

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't skimp on a hitch. Buy new and buy big. The price difference between a crappy class 5 and good one is like $50.
Just curious what would you consider a crappy class 5 and a good class 5? What about the Curt linked above? I have no problem spending a few dollars more if it means higher quality. But I'm not looking to spend 800 bucks. As I said I most likely wont be towing anything too heavy.

Also, since my truck has no trailer/tow package, what else do I need to set up wiring/lights etc. Is it just an outlet that I mount to the bumper and plug into the existing harness?

Thanks guys!

-Rich

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Get a Curt brand hitch. Class IV or Class V hitch will do.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
This looks like its right in the budget I have.
Is this a decent quality hitch?
Curt makes an excellent hitch.

I mean 175 bucks free shipping seems like a real good deal.
Yep, no reason not to run a ClassV.

I looked on Curt's website though and didn't see this one.
On the drop down, select 8' fac bumper cutout and you'll see it.

Is it an older model?
Yes, it's the old Putnam (out of biz) XDR design.

Any better or worse than the newer ones.
It sits high and back from the bumper, tucked up under. Stock size spare fits behind it, oversize won't fit, some say.

Anyone have anything similar mounted?

What will it look like on my stock truck. About how far sticking out?
Sits just back from flush

You'll need a universal 7-way bracket and plug ('bout $20), drilled and mounted to the underside steel of the bumper.

Just curious what would you consider a crappy class 5 and a good class 5?
Some sources will claim Class-V for their product, but it's only rated for those weights with a weight distributing hitch....similar to the weak OEM hitch rated at 7500 lbs. The Curt 15512 is good for 15k, or 16k w/WD hitch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hook Em. I think I may have to go with the 15513 cuz i dont think my truck has the tow package. It never had a hitch.

I posted this in another thread but is there an RPO code to find out if i have the tow package or not? If not, what other feature do i need to add besides the hitch to basically have the "tow package." I assume a 7 port plug to the bumper but Is the harness already at the bumper? I looked on Etrailer I would probably need a brake controller too i assume. Anything else? I dont have tow mirrors either but thats prob not a huge deal cuz the trailers will be small.

Also looking to upgrade tires. WIll the 15513 not fit with a oversize spare? Do i even need to upgrade the spare from stock if I upgrade my tires to 285? it would obviously be only used in emergency anyway

Thanks!

-Rich

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich.Time to lay in the dirt.Around the left frame rail by the spare tire roust around up there with a light and look for a round connector that's not connected to any thing.Also the video for the 7 plug shows with or with out factory wiring watch them both.I would think a 2500/3500 duramax would come with the wiring.

Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring for 2005 GMC Sierra - Pollak PK11893

Scroll down you will see the connector
Thanks Mike. Yea I plan to get on the ground and check it out as well as clean up the H2's i got once my back heals up. Was just in the surgicenter for it the other day so Im spending my time on the computer looking into stuff. Thanks again

-Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts