Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a cold air intake and 4in exhaust system for a 2004.5 gmc crew cab short bed.
And a mouth piece for my as well.

thanks

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've heard to stay away from k&n because they let too much trash through. You might want to look at AFE or Bills custom intakes also

- Adam

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok so just how useless is the factory airbox's on this lly truck.

right now im planning on just a hypertech not much more, gutting the factory exhaust, and yes installing a afe mouthpiece found it for under 200.
I would like a whole intake setup, but me fixing to drop about 220 on a tranny flush from amsoil, dont want to drp another 200 plus for a whole intake.

Ok so i picked out two air filters i like I have ran a oil filter on my dads duramax with no problems, so here are the two. 1 s-b can get new for liek 35.00 bucks plus shipping looks like jsut any other drop in air filter useing the retaining the factory lid.
2. Or going with a afe drop in filter its about 70 bucks but you dont use the factory lid.
it looks like this.

If anybody has any better ideas im open to listen, or some used parts for my truck

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If you're just going to keep the stock intake, keep the lid for sure. If you do a little work and isolate it from the hot engine compartment air you'll have a good functioning intake. Stock they pull most of the air from inside the engine compartment which is horrible. A true cai along with an afe mouthpiece will make a good difference.

If you're still looking for exhaust let me know.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so hoe do i mod the factory one to work better

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I've seen guys put foam insulation around the top to seal it off, also there's a spot where you can cut out a hole to pull in outside air. There's a DIY by hook'em horns that shows it all pretty well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a s-b drop in air filter, and going to mod the factory air box for now.

yes i know im a cheap azz.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
No worries. I'm a vendor and I helped you save money rather than pushing a sale lol. So hopefully down the road you'll look me up when its time for that exhaust ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
What is the site for that stock air mod I am looking to do the same untill I can afford a coldair intake

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries. I'm a vendor and I helped you save money rather than pushing a sale lol. So hopefully down the road you'll look me up when its time for that exhaust ;)

I got your pm, you have the best priced exhaust there is on the market, hopefully it wont take me to long to get soem more blow moeny, wifes off with teh baby for 2months.

But i will order it from you, thansk

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i did my cheapo air breather mod. now waiting on my drop in filter to show up.

got a price today to cut cat, and muffler off put welded pipe in for 70bucks. going to go this route for a while. at least its gong to be able to breath easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts