Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on putting EFI live in my truck pretty soon here. I'm near Calgary Alberta and I'm not sure if anyone around here does this. I just want a lil extra power, tow tunes w/turbobrake, hopefully some improved fuel economy and my egr to be off. Check engine lights been coming on because of blocker plate ever since I changed exhaust. Very important as well, I dont want any Douchepuff coming out of my exhaust pipe.
Or maybe is this pretty straight forward to do myself? I need this truck and cant tinker with it or risk a breakdown.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
You should get with one of the reputable tuners on here, or one of the vendors that sells for them, and order an autocal with their tunes, ie; Kory Willis, Idaho Rob, etc....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Once you've settled on a tuner, order that up and get some gauges to monitor your temps. I'd recommend getting an Edge CTS to do this. Than you can change your tunes on the fly through your CTS as well. It's very simple to do and you should have no trouble doing it yourself in 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
I thought that you could only change tunes with the CTS on the LB7 and LLY engines.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was not aware of that. I was thinking it was everything 2010 and older. Sorry for the false info guys.

So I still recommend the CTS and EGT probe. But get DSP5 with your tunes.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Yea the CTS is great even if it's for gauges.

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
Planning on putting EFI live in my truck pretty soon here. I'm near Calgary Alberta and I'm not sure if anyone around here does this. I just want a lil extra power, tow tunes w/turbobrake, hopefully some improved fuel economy and my egr to be off. Check engine lights been coming on because of blocker plate ever since I changed exhaust. Very important as well, I dont want any Douchepuff coming out of my exhaust pipe.
Or maybe is this pretty straight forward to do myself? I need this truck and cant tinker with it or risk a breakdown.
A good tuner, with a auto cal and the dsp 5 shipped to you. We use Idaho Rob for all our tuning needs :thumb

With that said, you can go to our site and order, call ATP (Rob), go through PPEI Kory or dmaxtuner. All very good reputable tuners and vendors in their own right!

·
Registered
446 Posts
A good tuner, with a auto cal and the dsp 5 shipped to you. We use Idaho Rob for all our tuning needs :thumb

With that said, you can go to our site and order, call ATP (Rob), go through PPEI Kory or dmaxtuner. All very good reputable tuners and vendors in their own right!
:drink Yeah cant go wrong with any of us really :) If you have any questions for us though please feel free to give us a call any time or drop me a PM.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If your NOT interested in having 5 tunes and not interested in having to install the DSP switch, you can go with single EFI tunes.
I was not interested in doing any of the above so I went with single tunes, loading one at a time.
I don't/won't switch tunes on the fly like most like to do so for me it was a waist of time and $$$.
I find one tune I like and stick with it for a daily driver and towing.
Currently I have 3 tunes, Optimized stock, 40hp towtune, 60hp towtune all 3 with turbo brake.
Just recently I put my 60hp towtune in, and I think this one will be a keeper.
Finally with all my mods and my 60hp towtune, this one has been the most impressive on mileage and performance all in one tune.
Having the right tuner and the right tune, does make a big difference.:neener

·
Registered
66 Posts
I originally was going to do this but the cost difference between 2 or 3 tunes and the DSP switch with 5 was very minimal. The added complexity of adding the switch seemed like to much opportunity for error to be introduced and now that I'm having problems getting it to operate correctly I'm wishing I stuck with my first instinct. Hopefully this new switch that's on the way to me fixes the problem.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yes, the cost difference is not that much but there is a risk of screwing something up.
Which several did screw something up around the time I was buying, one fried his ECM.
I couldn't find any shop in town that would install the DSP for me and I wasn't going to try it myself.
People say it's easy, "yes" but they have already installed one.
Chicken maybe , but I'm happy as heck I went the route I did.
Good Luck "2Ropes"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx for all the info everyone. This is for the LBZ in my sig btw.. I got my mind set on efi live and will be getting it before the summer. My biggest issue with buying south of the border is the extra costs involved due to the dollar, shipping and duties. I think I'll install some autometer cobalts first cause i want to be able to monitor boost and EGTs before i get a tune in it. Will probably go with dsp5 cause I tow Heavy, light and just drive around. Someone told me unless you send in your ECMs to get programmed there's a possibility for severe "side effects" if it doesnt upload right. Thats also another reason why id like to find something local. I did kinda have my mind set on a idaho rob tune but after emailing ATP a while back and getting no answer i figured I ask on here.. Something without issues is very important for me cause I go on a yearly camping trip for ~1100 miles with my family every summer.

I would possibly like a few custom things like making the headlight off switch work (canadian model, cant turn off headlights w/stopped GrrRRrr ) possibility to make cruisecontrol work as a high idle and turn my egr off and kill the CEL that the plate causes.

If I cant get it up here I will get it from the US. Either way I will be putting a tune in my truck end of winter.
Also important is no smoke, just like my truck runs now. Clean.

Thx again everyone.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You won't have smoke, BUT you will/might have a slight increase of diesel exhaust fumes if your deleting emissions stuff.
If you have questions with EFI tuners call them on the phone, forget the email thing.
They are over run with constant emails and its hard to get to all of them.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Motor OPS

^^ Here's a tuner in Canada ^^

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Motor OPS

^^ Here's a tuner in Canada ^^
Motor OPS, would be a good choice in Canada especially if your looking for tuning with emissions deleting.
They are teamed up of sort with DuramaxTuner, which has made me very happy once again with EFI tuning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
get a hold of coopers custom solutions he's out of edmonton mitch is a good guy to deal with will set you up well you can check his page out on facebook (780) 271-6780

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
just got some of korys tunes thru mrmanners at synthetic motorsports, its like Im driving a different truck now....awesome!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
just got some of korys tunes thru mrmanners at synthetic motorsports, its like Im driving a different truck now....awesome!!!!!!!!
Kory is my tuner of choice used him for years he is one of the best and his customer service is 2nd to none and of coarse Willie AKA Mr Manners is an excellent person as well hope you enjoy your tunes :thumb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.