Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have a specific look that I want to go for here, so I want some help with size options. I want real world, what has worked from you who have done it.

I bought a 2015 Denali ccsb a few months ago, and its on stock 265/60/20 tires. I'm using the stock Denali 20s, buying wheels is not an option. I want a wide foot print, but don't want to go much taller. As far as I know, the front is untouched height. I'm fine with a couple turns up if I have to, but I'd really like to just leave it where it is. Its comfortable and I want to leave it that way. If I want a loud, rough riding, hard driving truck, I'll get in my LB7. I'm not going mud terrain tires, thinking AT or aggressive AT style is what I want.

Help me decide on like a 295 or 305 size tire, I just don't think 285 size is wide enough for the look I want

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you are going to a national not a small mom pop tire store (many of them will not do it either) they will only put tires on your truck that the tire manufacturer lists as acceptable in the width range for the wheel on your truck. Times have changed the last few years on that one.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily I have a good relationship with a local tire guy. I've worked wreckers for him in the past. I can go in evenings or whatever to put my own rubbers on

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great looking truck!

I've read here where you can put 35/12.5-20's on the stock wheels/height, with very minor rub at full lock, if any. Having said that, you should be good to go with a 305/50-20(32x12), or even 305/55-20 (33.5x12)

You can check this website for the exact setup. Browse the Largest Truck Fitment Gallery | Custom Offsets

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great looking truck!

I've read here where you can put 35/12.5-20's on the stock wheels/height, with very minor rub at full lock, if any. Having said that, you should be good to go with a 305/50-20(32x12), or even 305/55-20 (33.5x12)

You can check this website for the exact setup. Browse the Largest Truck Fitment Gallery | Custom Offsets

Hope this helps.
Have you also read that when the suspension is in articulation when the wheel is turned that minor rub turns into something much worse. Not pretty but if you are running a mall crawler then the rubbing issues will be much less. The other thing you have to look at is the specific tire (brand) you are going to run they are not all the same size even if they are all marked the same. The larger outside and inside lugs will do ugly things to the fender well area as well as damage the tire itself.

Just go into all of this knowing what can happen do the research and you will not get an ugly surprise.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And that's why I want real world experience from guys that have done it. I'm fully aware of that from my previous trucks with different wheel/tire combinations. I have it pretty well figured out on the 01-07 trucks having had seven of them. But this truck is completely different, and I want to know what works

Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really contemplating going with a 295/60/20 like @ob_1jr did on his truck. But knowing his is cranked up some- not because of the tires, in his words- I want to know if they will work without the height being altered

Post #5
20" stock wheel. 2015 2500

·
Registered
569 Posts
And that's why I want real world experience from guys that have done it. I'm fully aware of that from my previous trucks with different wheel/tire combinations. I have it pretty well figured out on the 01-07 trucks having had seven of them. But this truck is completely different, and I want to know what works
I'm really contemplating going with a 295/60/20 like @ob_1jr did on his truck. But knowing his is cranked up some- not because of the tires, in his words- I want to know if they will work without the height being altered

Post #5
20" stock wheel. 2015 2500
On the phone with my buddy who has a 2015 2500 and he has a 4in BDS lift because he tried the 285 tires and they were not even close with no lift. He runs the 35x11.50-20 factory rims not the 12.50 tires so they do not rub. He spends some of the time off road with the suspension articulated.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm almost certain on what tire I will go with- Toyo Open Country A/T3 so now I just have to decide between a 295/60 or a 305/55 tire. I could go either way honestly. I know I like the wide footprint of the 305s, I have been running 305/60s on my LB7 for many many moon, but that truck is on 17s. There is not much of a balloon to them because of the sidewall height. I'm worried about the balloon affect on the 20s

·
Registered
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,134 Posts
I have 275/65/R20 Ridge Grapples on my stock rims. Handles and tows great. I have my front Keys cranks up an addition 1.00" with airbags in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
What's the noise level like with those? I really like the look of them, but my Yoko Geolandar A/T's are so quiet that I'm afraid to change to a different tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The truck had all season tires on it before, so they are louder. They aren't too bad, they hum going down the highway.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
It all depends on how much you tow. When I was looking at most the 305/55-20s they were only D load rated, which is good in most cases, but I wanted the E rated and ended up buying 295/60-20 and have been happy with it. As stated, I did crank my torsions some, but I did not have any rubbing unless at full lock and hitting a bump. I cranked my torsions and changed the upper A-arms for looks and not necessity. The tire shop said that in their experience 295/60-20 is the biggest tire you can put on without having to do anything to the suspension in most cases. Of course some trucks do sit lower from the factory, but for the most part 295 is the biggest you can fit or the 305/55-20. Another option if you are worried is 295/55-20. Those are actually just a bit taller than stock, but are wider.

Reactions: DMAXfirefighter

·
Registered
17 Posts
I forgot to add that the suspension on my truck is at stock height. I have no rubbing with wheels fully turned.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ob_1jr I was really hoping you would chime in, thank you. I really like the look of your truck on those tires, but I have been looking at 305/55s and they look to be load rated E, but the Toyo AT3s actually have an F rating. I don't do a LOT of towing, but when I do its usually fairly heavy- my flat gooseneck is almost 5k by itself, and when I go pulling in the summer I'm towing 14-15k. Moving hay is normally like 100 bales at a time on the same trailer. Like I said, I'm fine with a couple cranks, but don't want to go much more than that if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The only thing I'd say about the 305/55r20 on the stock wheels is that they may rub the frame a little at full lock.

I run the toyo AT3s on my summer wheels, in the same size 305/55r20 and love them. I don't have issues with rubbing or anything since they are a lower offset.

But for winter I bought some 2020 denali takeoffs and run a 35x12.5r20. They just hit the control arm and frame at full lock. Granted a 305 tire is a hair narrower than a 12.5 wide, and the 2020 wheels are a +47 offset compared to the +44 of the previous years wheels. So perhaps you won't rub anything.

I am also leveled just under 2" with kryptonite ucas though, so that definitely plays a part in why they touch the touch the control arms

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
@ob_1jr I was really hoping you would chime in, thank you. I really like the look of your truck on those tires, but I have been looking at 305/55s and they look to be load rated E, but the Toyo AT3s actually have an F rating. I don't do a LOT of towing, but when I do its usually fairly heavy- my flat gooseneck is almost 5k by itself, and when I go pulling in the summer I'm towing 14-15k. Moving hay is normally like 100 bales at a time on the same trailer. Like I said, I'm fine with a couple cranks, but don't want to go much more than that if I can avoid it.
Yeah, they may have changed since I bought my tires 4 years ago. I looked at the weight rating for the 305/55-20s when I bought my tires and they weren't rated the same as the stock tires, so I went with 295s. (and they were in stock when I got the quote) I had 305/70-16 on my old truck and did like the look of the 305s vs the 285s I had before.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ob_1jr you said you changed your uca's, was that for alignment correction or what? I know you said for looks and not necessity, so are you meaning just for looks when someone looks in the fender well of the truck? And which uca's did you go with?

I know on my LB7 I swapped to Cognito uca's for two reasons- I was rebuilding the front end and it needed ball joints, and alignment correction.
But looking at the Cognito uca's for this truck, one place specifically says that any wider than an 11.5in wide tire on stock wheels could cause contact

1 - 20 of 27 Posts