Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am considering either a 5" Magnaflow, turbo back, keeps cat, system or a MBRP 5" kit that removes the cat. I am working with these 2 brands as I have found some KILLER deals on either of these brands. My primary goal is fuel mileage, particularly while towing. I would really rather not hear it at cruise when towing across the country, and I REALLY do not want any drone. I do not want it to loud at cruise and prevent me from sleeping while driving, LOL! If it picks up performance, which I am sure it will, that is great, but fuel mileage is what I am after.

I also would like to run a K and N Air Charger charger set up.

So how much mileage improvement can one expect with a exhaust ad K and N intake set up? And is there really much advantage to ditching the cat? I am in Florida where there is no inspection, so I could do no cat, but it just seems wrong?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i guess your putting this on a diesel..i gained almost 2 mpg doing a exhaust and air intake but the biggest mpg gain was when i did a programmer,that is on a duramax diesel..for the good of your diesel and turbo stay away from K&N CAI,they wotk good for gas engines but thet let to much dirt past them to the turbo..

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Ditching the cat will lower EGTs. Your truck might throw codes, but there are parts to get rid of those. FWIW, I have a 4" mbrp turbo back (offroad kit) and it has a noticable drone while driving. I think that my truck was quieter when it was straight piped....at least if I kept it under 2200 rpms. For the CAI, I would either go with the AFE with the proguard 7 or I have heard good things about the S&B intake too. I didn't gain hardly any mileage doing the exhaust and intake mod. Your best bet is to buy a programmer like the predator or PPE for mileage. The predator can be had for around $299 and the PPE is a little higher for the economy one and it can be upgraded for more power at a later date if you decide you want more. The ultimate programming would be EFI Live. You might like that if you like to tinker with settings and work on your own tune.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ob1jr,

Could you give me a link to the PPE and predator you mentioned ?
My mpg is not what I think or want it to be. Curious as to the products
you mentioned. I've been the CAI route on my previous truck and do
not think I'll waste the $$$.$$ again !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is a early 06 with a LLY. I already have a Super Chip tuner in it and it gets it's beat mileage in full on Perfomance mode, would I get better response from one of the other tuners? I have heard a few time the Edge will kick the Super Chips ass in power, but again it is that fuel mileage thing.

I am getting 13.6 around town empty, 17 on the highway empty and 10.5 towing a 24" trailer and car in it on the highway. This is where I am looking for the most improvement

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i gained 2 to 3 mpg on both of my trucks with the ppe tuners and have enough power to kick a stangs butt..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts