Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new here and wanted some imput. Looking at a 2001 gmc 3500 duramax with about 70000 mi and wanted to know there biggest flaws as this was the first year for the duramax. I herd of injector problems but that was about it. Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeh the injectors will usually go bad and there not too cheap...others may be able to give more insight

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I have a 01 gmc. The other major issue with this truck is It will eventually throw a code p0093 (fuel leak LARGE). Many have fixed it by replacing the CP3 or high pressure pump. It's costly and difficult. Another fix is a tune from Kennedy Diesel. He programs with EFI Live, and can balance out the rates between what the computer demands, and what the pump creates. You are looking at $700.00 Minimum. It takes a while to have this problem with the truck. But IMO it's still a great engine. So between injectors and fuel pump, you can expect 2,000-4,000 bucks depending on the parts you put into it.

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
injectors are the only real problem with the lb7's, get them to see if they have been replaced, if not its about 3k for new ones.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Sorry, I was just trying to help Him know what to expect,. I know several guys with the LB7 engine that are all trying to fix this problem. It's very common, and a PITA.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
never heard of the fuel issue.

Transfer case rub plate and injectors. I paid 2,100 after core exchange for my set of injectors from guy tripp @ socal diesel(If I remember right).

70k miles though, I wouldnt hold back. 230k on my lb7 and I know of many lb7s with a lot more miles...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Search p0093, or limp mode when towing! It is a headache when you have to deal with it.

I was selling my atv, and I was talking about my truck with a random customer. He has the same truck and same issue,. Like many on this site.

I hope you dont have this problem... But thought I'd give the heads up JIC!!!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Is it always the cp3 for the p0093?
Not always. It could be leaking injectors, or the FPR on the CP3. But many times guys replace the Cp3 and Fpr at the same time. If you know someone with EFI Live or a tech II, they can see what it is usually.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I am not sure. Haven't heard of anyone doing that to check CP3. Usually you would get the readings of what kind of pressure the computer is demanding, and what pressure the pump is making. This is one of the hardest codes to crack.

Some have fixed it by replacing filters. Others by fixing fuel lines. And some replace the CP3, while again others need Injectors. I say best thing is start cheap. Check your filters, and fuel lines. then get the scanner on it if you go any further. It's worth the money to save the frustration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts