Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock converter is acting up a bit and I'm looking to replace it. Currently I have installed a transgo jr. along with EFI live, deleted EGR, and PPE airbox mod. The truck runs very well on my 100hp tune but flipping it over to 120 the torque converter doesnt like it too much. Planning on building the trans in the future, but not anytime soon. I want something that locks up similar to stock that will hold about 500-600 hp, which is about as far as I wanna push this truck as its a daily driver.

Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
577 Posts
subd in the same boat

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Running between 500-600 HP and you're gonna be building the trans real soon if you're driving habits have already thrashed the stock TC. IMO you might as well just back the tune down in wait till you can do everything. Either way, I'd just call Mike L. I would assume any triple disc that would go into a built trans would be what you need but can't say for sure since you're clutches etc are still stock

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Running between 500-600 HP and you're gonna be building the trans real soon if you're driving habits have already thrashed the stock TC. IMO you might as well just back the tune down in wait till you can do everything. Either way, I'd just call Mike L. I would assume any triple disc that would go into a built trans would be what you need but can't say for sure since you're clutches etc are still stock
I run it on the 100 hp tune right now with puts down around 475. I'm saying in the future I hope to stay around 500-600. My 120 tune is what the TC doesnt like. Which put down 500 to the back tires.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yea I hear ya and anything over 500 and you're gonna probably have to start worrying about more than just your TC.

While I have you on the horn. I'm assuming you have the DSP5 from Kory. I bought the same thing but indirectly, and the guy I got it from wasn't quite sure as to the power levels I was running. I've been messaging Kory for over a month but he won't get back to me with the answers so can you list what your tunes are? I'm pretty sure it prob falls along
1. optimized stock
2. 50
3. 80
4. 120
5. 150
but I now those aren't definite. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I hear ya and anything over 500 and you're gonna probably have to start worrying about more than just your TC.

While I have you on the horn. I'm assuming you have the DSP5 from Kory. I bought the same thing but indirectly, and the guy I got it from wasn't quite sure as to the power levels I was running. I've been messaging Kory for over a month but he won't get back to me with the answers so can you list what your tunes are? I'm pretty sure it prob falls along
1. optimized stock
2. 50
3. 80
4. 120
5. 150
Mine are:
1. Optimized stock
2. 80 tow with turbo brake
3. 100
4. 120
5. High idle

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Cool thanks

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I run it on the 100 hp tune right now with puts down around 475. I'm saying in the future I hope to stay around 500-600. My 120 tune is what the TC doesnt like. Which put down 500 to the back tires.
Your truck does not make 475rwhp on a 100 tune. More like 375.

Not sure what you're smoking but you will NOT hold 500-600 rwhp with just a TC replacement. You will still smoke the TCC without the proper pump modifications. Do it right the first time and you'll be very satisfied with the money you spend.

·
Registered
872 Posts
100 hp tune is more like 410 whp. Stock lmm is round 310 at the wheels

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Your truck does not make 475rwhp on a 100 tune. More like 375.

Not sure what you're smoking but you will NOT hold 500-600 rwhp with just a TC replacement. You will still smoke the TCC without the proper pump modifications. Do it right the first time and you'll be very satisfied with the money you spend.
On my Idaho robs 150 tune I made 477hp but that's a little more than his 100 tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
100 hp tune is more like 410 whp. Stock lmm is round 310 at the wheels
I watched a truck with the same mods as me minues a full egr delete make 510hp at the wheels on a 150 tune. EGR delete is good for roughly 30hp, so with that figured in my 120 tune should be on par with his 150 tune.

Kory's tuning makes crazy power on a stock trans.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If I were u I would try to find a good used converter because if u buy a new converter and burn your clutches it will send all that material into your new converter and mess it up. So remember you might destroy the new converter you buy and end up spending more when u go to a fully built trans.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were u I would try to find a good used converter because if u buy a new converter and burn your clutches it will send all that material into your new converter and mess it up. So remember you might destroy the new converter you buy and end up spending more when u go to a fully built trans.
Thanks for the advice. I will look around and see if anybody has one for sale.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had this Issue last year. I was looking for a way to improve my trans without building it and I learned out why you can't just put in a good converter. I ended up buying an ats co pilot and it has worked out well for me but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone and would be willing to sell it. I have not limped or even slipped my trans that I could tell and for about 6 6 months I ran a 450 whp tune. Bottom line is some people can get away with larger tunes than other people.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had this Issue last year. I was looking for a way to improve my trans without building it and I learned out why you can't just put in a good converter. I ended up buying an ats co pilot and it has worked out well for me but I wouldn't recomend it to anyone and would be willing to sell it. I have not limped or even slipped my trans that I could tell and for about 6 6 months I ran a 450 whp tune. Bottom line is some people can get away with larger tunes than other people.
So why wouldnt you recommend it to anyone?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Highly doubt you are around 475 to the wheels. And if your having problems now there is no bandaid fix. Turn it down or do a full build or you will just be throwing away money and create more problems.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It was freeking expensive. I bought it used for 600 it wasn't very easy to install an you have to have a deep trans Pan that adds 150 to the installation. It worked good for me but at higher power levels but that doesn't mean it is foolproof and will let your stock trans hold 450 hp and 820ftlbs of torque. For the price you might as well put that into a built trans.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts

1. optimized stock
2. 50
3. 80
4. 120
5. 150
Hmm, I have not 1 email from you I see... And we have 2 on staff that check emails along with me... Who did you go through to buy your tunes? They would of had to tell me the level of tuning you wanted. Try sending me a email to [email protected] :thumb:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 78 Posts