Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a real clean 04.5 for a pretty good deal. I was looking at an lb7 before this truck and found out about all the injector issues those trucks had. Are there any issues with the lly I should be concerned with? Do they have the same injector problem? Thank you! BTW: This will be my first Duramax, as I have always had a Cummins. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
lly is deff a nice truck im starting to put some power to the ground and its holding up great. its nice and reliable. the turbo mouthpice is the only real issue with the lly and afe sells a upgraded one for 200 bucks. i perosnaly still have the stock one and it works fine the new one just helps cool down a lil and spool quicker. the best pic of trucks would be a 07-07 lbz. they seem to be top choice in trucks but in my opinion you wouldnt regret getting a lly

·
Registered
43 Posts
well eric, my 04.5 has been the best truck ive ever owned. ive never had an issue with it. some say they have a problem with overheating caused by a restrictive intake elbow (mouth piece) but my stock one looked better than the afe i replaced it with. the speedometer on my truck likes to stick and not function correctly at times but i harderly ever use the speedo, i use either my tach or my gps. listen for a surge in the idle caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator (fpr) but from what ive heard its a semi common issue among all dmax's, its a fairly easy fix if you're semi mechanically inclined as for injector issues, i havent really heard of much aside from a few people with over 300k miles have to replace one or two.
sorry for the long post but hope this helps
btw i love my lly, ive had mine for almost 2 yrs now and put just shy of 50k without a single issue besides the fpr

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The LLY series engine did not have the injector issues that were known for the LB7 trucks. As mentioned earlier, the stock turbo mouthpiece is a pain, however an easy install/upgrade for relatively low funds.

The only major issue per se for LLY rigs was head gaskets. This is a little more common in the earlier series LLY's, as they switched head gaskets later on. This is a much cheaper fix however than the injector issues, and can easily be done in a weekend if you are mechanically inclined.

If you tow heavy and through the mountains/hills constantly LLY's also did have an overheating issue common. GM fixed this issue with the LBZ series engines by increasing the capacity of the cooling system and redesigning the fan setup/ hood for more efficiency. There are two options to fix this, one would be a secondary cooling setup, the other being to swap over all the parts from an LBZ truck, however the first option is much more cost effective. Some guys do not have issues with the cooling systems, however I just wanted to give you a heads up about the problem.

Now don't let all of this scare you away from buying one. I love my LLY and it's been a great motor for me. Haven't had any major issues yet myself, and absolutely nothing that I couldn't fix myself. It all depends on how you treat it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. An LLY makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I put a deposit down on the truck and am going to pick it up on Wednesday! I can't wait!! Where is the best place to start from scratch on learning about EFI live and how it works? I was also thinking about the Edge Evo too.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The best would probably be from the source. I personally recommend Rob Coddens from ATP. Call 208-685-1000 and talk to Dustin, he'll answer any questions you could possibly have and set you up if you're wanting to go that route. With that being said, there are also other great tuners out there. Nick at duramaxtuner.com is very good, as is Justin at blue demon performance. I suggest you do some research before deciding on your tuner just to see who is the "right fit" for you.

In the mean time, start reading up here:
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/efi-live/30321-efi-live-faq-read-first.html

The edge products aren't that great for our applications. If you're going to go a canned tuner, go with a PPE unit, however you will just wind up selling it down the road to go EFI live. Trust me, i can't tell you how many times i've seen it happen. Happens all the time. Just know that your most inexpensive option of EFI live (tuned ecm w/ dsp2) is right along the same price of any canned unit unless buying used, and has a much better performance/drivability benefit to you.

There are several options you can go with an EFI live setup, so don't get scared of the initial startup cost of the full blown V2 DSP5 setup. You have three choices. You can buy a pre tuned ecm, that is loaded with either 2 or 5 custom built tunes for you, go with a loaner v2 setup to where they send you a v2, you play around with it and install your turns, and then ship if back if you do not want it in the long run, and then there's the v2 setup where you get to keep the v2 so you can log data and load tunes. What you decide to do is all up to you and your needs for the truck. hope this helps a bit :thumb

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
i have an edge on my lbz and its pretty cool but you just dont have the control or changeablility you do if you have efi and a dsp5 switch. the evo is alright but if you dont block you egr it gets really smoky on the 100hp setting. efi live is completely different you literally can get what ever you want

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Love my lly.... But do me a favor don't run off and buy a edge right after you get your truck like I did... You will just be selling it for penny's and buying efi... Don't even consider edge tuning.... I have the edge touchscreen with efi and I just switch through my tunes right on that it's pretty sweet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info! I just found the EFI Live section on this forum so I'll be reading up on that. Hell, I don't even know what a dsp5 switch is lol. I think I'm gonna end up going with EFI Live if I can get over the initial price when I find out what it is. Also, is there any in cab control unit or display for the EFI Live? If so can someone post a picture? Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yea it's called a edge insight Cs or cts.... Go to atptrucks.com the tunes are awesome great price also

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The dsp5 is a 5 position switch, connected to your ecm that controls 5 different tunes of your choosing. (different power levels, anti-theft, valet, tow w/turbo brake, etc....)
On lb7 and lly trucks you can opt to get an edge insight ct/cts to function as your switch, so you don't have to hard mount a switch to your dash and you can also use it for your gauges if you wish to go that route.

There is tons of information in here about efi live, and as i mentioned you don't necessarily have to get the whole shebang right off the bat if you don't want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts