Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy an 05 chevy duramax and I'm curious on what to look for and what r some problems this truck might have? Do the injectors go out in this year of the dmax? Please lemme me know bout things I should look for! Thanks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
its a great year it does not have the injector problem... 5 speed allison.. there is a few minor things that can be done to achieve greatness

how many miles??? any modifications ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The '05's an LLY, which will suffer from the potential overheating issues. Not a big deal, unless you plan to haul large loads up long grades. An upgraded Turbo mouthpiece will help, a secondary cooling system is the true solution. Not a bad year, I put 50k on my LLY before I upgraded to a bigger LBZ.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
i have an 05 lly and wouldnt hesitate buying another one if i needed or wanted to. the 05 lly has less smog equipment than the newer dmax models, easy to mod to gain more power and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went with the LLY over the LB7 just because of the better injectors. I love the LLY so far, and I'm sure I'll love it even more after EFI Live!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The injectors problems can most often be fixed by adding a lift pump with good filtration and filter maintenance, just my 2 cents

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
943 Posts
I love mine, put efi live on it intake and exhaust. Drives and rides great only problem I'm having is that I limp the truck in 4-5 shift but that's my fault not the truck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i like mine a lot, i have several buddies with dmaxxes, an lb7 w/twins, 2 llys, an lbz, and a lmm, all of which are great but us with the llys are seeing better economy overall, however a lot of factors play in on that, get one change the turbo mp, exhaust and modd the airbox, and a few other little tricks shownon this forum and others, and you will be very happy

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The injectors problems can most often be fixed by adding a lift pump with good filtration and filter maintenance, just my 2 cents
not true. they can be prolonged but not fixed. Due to the design failure is inevitable on the lb7 injectors regretfully.

As far as lly's the only thing they are known for is a restrictive factory mouthpiece, headgaskets and potential overheating if you're towing heavy up long steep grades at a slow pace. elevation also plays a big role here. Earlier lly's suffered more than later models did in this catagory. The headgaskets are an issue that need to be in the back of your head, as a just in case type of deal. Also the #2 and #7 injector harness was known to give issues on LLY's, however a DIY fix is all that is needed and can be accomplished with the "ice pick fix".

I've been extremely pleased with my lly and wouldn't hesitate buying another however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also looking at a 03 dmax with brand new injectors, has 150000 on it and they want 18,900$ Is that a good price? Is it a good truck?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm also looking at a 03 dmax with brand new injectors, has 150000 on it and they want 18,900$ Is that a good price? Is it a good truck?
The price sounds kinda high for '03. How is the interior and the paint?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
depends on your location i suppose, but that is way too high for an lb7 rig in my area/my opinion. you could find an lly for no problem in that price range

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's got good paint and all options inside! With a DVD player. So I kinda thought it was expensive to! I'm in spokane Washington!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the general rule of thumb is to buy the newest duramax you can afford at the time

·
Registered
207 Posts
not true. they can be prolonged but not fixed. Due to the design failure is inevitable on the lb7 injectors regretfully.
Just with the addition of a lift pump my buddy's injectors lasted 150k miles, but I agree, they can't be FIXED, I worded that poorly

·
Registered
207 Posts
Double post

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
i just bought a 2004 LLY with 207k (now 209k) on the clock. did the mouthpiece, airbox mod, and 5" straight exhaust and shes still goin good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought my I looked for a car fax report and if that was good I looked for the maintenance records if any in the manual. I would aspect the normal 100,000 + stuff like trans,diffs,axles,all the record that you might not find plan on changing them if it was me. I look to see if it have any signs of a fifth wheel hook up,and get it up to temp to see if it has any blow by from the oil cap. O and how it cranks when it's cold out. If you find one that you like and its the right price,and it feels right pull the trigger. If you take car of it and try not to hot rod it to much,it should last for a long time without major headaches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts