Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anthing that generally goes wrong with these motors? I'm a mechanic and don't see a whole lot wrong with these. I know they are highly sought after due to last yr without emissions equipment on them. Anything I should look for? It has some rust and 164,000 miles. Any advice would be much helpful thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought an 06 about 3 years ago and it had just over 180,000 miles when I bought it. Not sure where you're located but I'm in Texas so the weather hadn't affected the truck I bought as much as others. With that said I've still had rust cause problems. Recently replaced all the brake lines because one rusted thru where it was clipped in a plastic clip to the frame rail.

Other than that I've had to replace a lot of front end parts that were probably original and naturally worn out. Had to do front diff seals. Had to replace the water pump. Replaced upper control arm bushings because they were dry rotted. Replaced the transmission shift cable because it was dry rotted. Replaced steering gearbox due to excessive play. Replaced power steering pump.

As far as drive train wise as long as it's been taken care of you shouldn't have much to worry about. It's the other things that wear and can add up. So just try to look at suspension parts to see if they look original or see what service/maintenance records they have.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has new upper and lower ball joints, ppe tie rod sleeves, stage 5 ppe trans, efi live, not sure about cp3 pump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The LBZ does have parts with pattern failures, some are common to most Dmax motors pre L5p like the crankshaft, head gasket, cam pin, water pump, etc. The LBZ has a piston issue
https://youtu.be/7wYW_P3Rwi4
The transfer case and front differential are also a weak design.
You might be money ahead and buy a newer Lly and just delete it and do a Cp3 conversion???

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,320 Posts
The transfer case and front differential are also a weak design. You might be money ahead and buy a newer Lly and just delete it and do a Cp3 conversion???
The LBZ had a xfer case and front end different from other HDs?
Or is this IFS hate?
LLY isn't newer,....Conversion?.....I assume you meant LML?....the ones that seem to have a higher rate of random failure on pistons than any other Dmax generation?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought an 06 about 3 years ago and it had just over 180,000 miles when I bought it. Not sure where you're located but I'm in Texas so the weather hadn't affected the truck I bought as much as others. With that said I've still had rust cause problems. Recently replaced all the brake lines because one rusted thru where it was clipped in a plastic clip to the frame rail.

Other than that I've had to replace a lot of front end parts that were probably original and naturally worn out. Had to do front diff seals. Had to replace the water pump. Replaced upper control arm bushings because they were dry rotted. Replaced the transmission shift cable because it was dry rotted. Replaced steering gearbox due to excessive play. Replaced power steering pump.

As far as drive train wise as long as it's been taken care of you shouldn't have much to worry about. It's the other things that wear and can add up. So just try to look at suspension parts to see if they look original or see what service/maintenance records they have.

Hope this helps.
I bought an 06 lbz about 5 years ago. It had about 200k on the odometer. I’m at about 294k now. What is listed above is some of the same things I ran into. It’s not the engine but the stuff around it, especially the front end components. Recently replaced the fuel module and did replace the shocks as soon as I bought it.

I’m in Texas as well and near the coast but no rust to speak of. Just took it on a 5k mile trip and ran like a top.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The transfer case and front differential are also a weak design.
Not sure where you are getting your information. The LBZ has the HD transfer case and the front end on my truck and with almost 400k has been bullet proof. All transfer cases from 01-07 were subject to pump rub, easy fix if you are mechanically inclined. LBZ was the last run of that body style, translated, all the bugs had been worked out. The only things that I have done on my truck have been : water pump twice, front wheel bearings, twice on each side, FPR twice, resealed steering gear box, transfer case pump rub kit and tailshaft bushing (caused by driveshaft throwing a weight) and I got tired of getting stuck so I elected to replace the cheap AAM G80 locking rear end with the Dodge version that is steel screw actuated. I do a lot of driving off road on the ranch and on the hunting lease and the AAM Dodge version was money well spent. There is a reason that LBZ's get a premium price, if you take care of them, they are relatively low maintenance. Any truck will give you problems if you beat on it, ie, tuners, hard driving, lack proper maintenance etc. LBZ's have a track record of being reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts