Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks in advance for reading my post. I am looking to buy a used Duramax equipped pickup and have some questions on them:

I have pretty much made up my mind that I want a 4 door long bed truck, does anyone have any info on this model. I know it is very long but I need the space inside and out. Pros/Cons?

I plan to use for light hauling and plowing snow, I know the long bed crew cab will be a bear to get around plowing but any other things I should be aware of?

I have pretty much made up my mind on a 2004.5 or later truck because of the LLY power plant versus the earlier LB7, am I being too cautious about the LB7? Don't want to be changing out injectors...

What are the pros and cons of the different engines besides the ease of changing injectors on the LLY and up?

Does the LLY have any issues of its own, injectors head gaskets ets.?

I was thinking I wanted to be under 160k miles. I only put 8-10k a year on the truck and there should be many years of service left on a truck with these miles on the clock. Any comments?

Id there any data I can extract off of a potential truck with my generic scan tool that would give me an insight into the health of the truck?

Thanks again and have a great day!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
im selling my extended cab long bed lmm if your interested in that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I would say is check blow-by on whatever truck you want to buy. The 04's are a solid truck for anything you really need done! Just make sure the frame isn't too rusted, visibly looks like it's been given hell, or too much blow-by. I have a friend who owns an 05 and he seems to really like it. Crew cab is definitly the way to go. The extended cabs are a little small, i'd say almost the size of my camaro small lol.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I agree with all of the above, nothing wrong with LLY. I have a 2004.5, it has pulled our 5th wheel over 45K miles in 10 years. Usual expected stuff, water pump, wheel bearings, injector harness (see ice pick fix). Some have had head gasket issues, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it-some stock, some have big tunes without any problems. If it's already had HGs and studs done, it should definitely be good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts