Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I'm new to the forum, and soon to be new to Duramax ownership; but I have a few questions before I make the plunge.

My background is with Ford, so my knowledge of GM products is lacking. I had a 1993 Ford F-150 Super Cab 4x4 5.8L XLT until last week. With 252,000 miles on the gas engine, it owed me nothing. Still, with all those miles on a light duty chassis, I've decided to get something a little more robust for my next rig. I'm considering anything from a 2003 to about 2005 truck, though this is pretty much because of budget. I have about $25K to spend on this truck.

Does anyone have a preferred reference for the trim packages available on GM trucks? I would like to get a truck with the center console and steering wheel radio/information system controls; but don't know what trim package that falls into.

I'm also interested in the differences between engines. I read elsewhere here that the older engines had some injector problems. Also that idling is a concern, and not as easily achieved in the older engines. Any thoughts on extreme cold weather starting and idling? Up here in Fairbanks, Alaska, the temps can be -40's, but typically run -20 to -30. Given the extreme cold, it is not at all unusual to allow a vehicle to run for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the interior to warm. All vehicles are plugged-in in winter with most vehicles having several engine heating pads, plus a battery warmer. A few have transmission warmers as well. Any thoughts on lubrication at such low temperatures?

Are there any significant differences between the (automatic) transmissions by year? Besides the obvious, are there any reasons to get a 5 or 6 speed over the other?

I'd like to get a truck with an existing manufacturers warranty of course, but I am also considering an aftermarket warranty. I've seen some companies advertise powertrain warranties for greater than 100,000 miles. As far as I understand, many of these companies aren't reputable. Any thoughts on this? Any recommendations?

What about buying a truck that is already over 100,000 miles and without warranty? Any advice or pitfalls to be cognizant of? Granted, I'm very leery of such a proposition; but still, it may put me into more truck for the buck... I just don't want to buy a lawn ornament for $25K...

I appreciate any help and insight!

Jace

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
welcome to the forum...they are a few guys on here from alaska so i'm sure they will chime in with there words...about the diesel,well some guys say stay away from the earlier years but i wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them but the injecters are a known problem and gm extended the warranty to 200k miles,i would prefer a 04 and newer for myself,but every one is different.in the chevy trucks you'll probaliy want the LT package and in the gmc the SLE will have a few option that you metioned but the SLT will have every thing minus the kitchen sink..hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought an 05 Duramax crew cab 4x4 with 60k for 25,600. I am addicted and impressed to say the least!! I had a 99 Z71 with 246 k before and decided to upgrade. I am obsessed with the diesel power and I am comitted to getting the best fuel mileage I can. It is pretty cool to be driving a 7500 pound 4x4 and getting better mileage than a rice burning Jap truck!!! Good luck and you cant go wrong with the D-max. by the way I just added:rockin a predator and i cant confirm yet but the mileage is really good!!

Has anyone thought about what on old truck or muscle car would do with a D-max installed under the hood? What would it run in a 1/4?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
What i would do is find a couple of trucks you like. Get the whole vin, and go to a gm dealer and have them run a VIS. (Vehicle Information System) This will tell you all of the warranty work that has been done to the truck, the options it has along with the option codes. It will give you some sort of insight on what kind of truck you are buying and the issues it has already had.

As for the as the aftermarket warrantys, they can usually pay for themselves, but just be sure to read all of the fine print and make sure you understand all of the guidlines you are singing up for, becuase some will try to screw you.

I think the first lb7's had a glow plug recall??? Can someone back me up on that one? So if that's a case obviously you should make sure that has been completed.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the earlier duramax also known as the LB7 had some injecters and glow plug problems but it isn't a problem every LB7 had,and the LLY had some issues with over heating but there again only a few of them did it so it wasn't wide spread issue and the later duramax known as the LBZ is probally the best one for the not having any mechanical issue except if you add to much extra power they do have a internal engine problems but that isn't untill you hit into 500rwhp..like it has been said,every new thing will have it's problems but as time goes on they fix them..thanks james

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.