Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my truck is showing the one main sign for head gasket issue, stiff upper coolant hose after sitting all night.

Its weird sometimes it will be stiff, sometimes it will be soft, so I am not 100% sure I need them. I am about 99% sure.

What will I need to do this job besides, head studs, grade C gaskets, and a welded water pump? I plan on doing it myself, so if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, that would be great!

If I let the truck run @ idle the upper coolant hose will not get hard until the thermostats open, I have not noticed and puking (like my old 6.0)

Would there be any reason why that hose would be stiff after sitting over night? It's not rock hard, I can still get the hose to compress completely but it takes some pressure from me, any help would be great! Thanks

Should I try a new recovery cap first?-Doubting this would be my issue

Registered
A new surge tank cap is cheap but I don't think it will fix your issue. I only had the hard rad hose a couple times, and had to add coolant once and my gaskets where bad in 5 places!

If you end up replacing your hg here is what I used, grade c rivited gaskets, arp headstuds, lml drivers side manifold, welded water pump, new fpr, egr delete, downpipe, and a cai, I already had the turbo mouthpiece installed a few years prior....Goodluck!

Edit: By the way I got everthing from Henry at Creatures of the night performance, best prices I could find馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to do a hydro-carbon test today and see how it works out....

The coolant hose is not rock hard, its stiff....So i don't think its super bad....yet

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update.

We did the leak down test=passed

We did the hydro-carbon test=passed

I did replace the thermostats(few weeks ago) I did replace the recovery cap today

I did let the truck sit for 10HRS after the tests, and the upper coolant hose was softer then it usually is. So now what do I do?

Registered
Drive it like you stole it!

Registered
Keep an eye on it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, drove the truck home last night, came out this morning..........Checked the hose........and it was soft

Goin broke in style.
Youre probably like me and paranoid about it because you have an LLY. One day mine needs them then the next i convince myself i dont lol. Just drive it and keep an eye on it unless you just really want studs and gaskets! :thumb

Registered
Don't worry until it starts puking and temp starts to spike up. Am sure they are starting to go bad but you have time. As long as you don't over heat, you won't ruin anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to update this, truck has been fine, haven't really paid much attention to it but drove the truck yesterday to work and it sat here over night. This morning I checked the hose and it was soft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts