Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006HD Extended Cab Short Bed. I have noticed over the past 6 months the steering seems to have play in it. The last month it has started to vibrate at certain speeds. The truck almost has 90K on it. I have done the torsion bar lift and it has an 8' Fisher plow on it for 3 driveways. I already replaced the passenger side bearing and the drivers side seems to be fine still. The tie rods seem to be tight and the ball joints as well. I was told it is the linkage from the steering box tot he Pittman arm, but I am not sure. I was also told if I replace on thing just to do it all.

I need new tires sooner than later, so I want to get this done before the new ones go on so I can have the front end alined. I guess what I am looking for is if anyone has any experience with this problem and if everything does need to be replaced or not. And if it does is there a kit that has everything with it or do I have to make a list and order everything separate?

-Thanks

-Andrew

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced the pitman arm inner and outer tierod ends and the draglink at 150,000 all wore out. factory parts are weak from what I understand. Put in all Moog parts lifetime warranty

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yep, with that heavy plow on the front end i'd be willing to bet it toasted your front end components. Pitman/idler arms, look in to the braces as well. Look in to a front end upgrade package through one of our sponsors.. I know dmaxstore has very competitive prices with their kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an 07 2500LT, 4door long box, dmax, 6.6. Anyway real heavy front end standard and I have no grill or winch on it yet, got a suspension maxx lift and level. Pathetic traction in 4whd in the rear, front not much better. Gently took it off road, gently to me is barely moving but not getting stuck while hunting, not 4 wheeling, tortion control arm ruined just like that, happened twice, never should have in my opinion. I'm blaming weak components unable to handle 285's instead of 245's that were stock, plus the suspension lift, any thoughts? Also, I'm shoping for lockers for the front and rear but I don't want to mess up other stuff.

·
Registered
322 Posts
my problem was driver side wheel bearing, replaced it and sloppy feeling went away. to check wheel bearings, jack up that side and pull up on bottom of wheel-if solid-ok if loose-needs to be replaced. real simple to replace bearing. shops want 500-700 dollars per wheel

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had to replace the idler and pitman arm at 55,000 miles. Install the ultimate front end kit fron Dmaxstore. It is the best for replacement parts. It fixed allot of the play in mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts