Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is a legitimate test. I've used it many times with excellent results.
Luckily it is still under the power train warranty buy 3 days lol.
The dealer let me take it for the weekend then its going in to the shop for about a week. On a different note I tried to remote start it and I started for only a second. Then I got in the truck to start it manually and I got a check engine light? Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
1,039 Posts
Luckily it is still under the power train warranty buy 3 days lol.
The dealer let me take it for the weekend then its going in to the shop for about a week. On a different note I tried to remote start it and I started for only a second. Then I got in the truck to start it manually and I got a check engine light? Any thoughts?
No idea what is causing the mil but the mil will keep the rvs from starting the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mine passed their pressure test but water pump and lower radiator hose were both seeping,never dripped once.
Mine failed the hydrocarbons in the coolant test. Luckily it was still under the factory warranty for 3 more days so its at the dealer getting head gaskets

·
Registered
240 Posts
So today the dealer did some kind of chemical test in the coolant to test for hydrocarbons. This is the story I got to prove that it is a bad head gasket. So Monday it goes in for that warranty work.
Legit test. Been around for a long time. Old school mechanics used to call it a "block check". It consisted of a device with a reactive strip in it that would change colors if there was any crossover from the combustion chamber. The device replaces the radiator cap and you ran the engine and got it up to operating temp. The whole thing cost about $40 back in the 80's...

These days it probably has a super complicated technical term costs $300 and requires a laptop to run...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts