Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck ran supper till I had to change the water pump at 150.000 mi. After that , it seems to build pressure in cooling sys. and blows antifreeze out the over flow. Sometimes it would take 500 mi. under a load to do it, and other times it would be less. I had it to a GM dealer and they pressure tested the engine, all OK, no leak down. Spent $500.00 there. Still have the problem. Took it to another diesel shop, and they changed the thermastat, and something to do with the turbo valve, another $500.00, and now it's worse. Now it will spue out coolent at an idle. It now seems that when I haul a load, it will blow out some coolent till it gets down to a point,then the low coolent light comes on , and will run ok till I put more coolent in. Then it will blow it all out again. Both shops said that they believe the heads, and gaskits are ok. I now has 187,000 on it. And have used a lot of coolent to say the least. Now what do I do???

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have bleed out the sys. so many times, and it keeps doinging it, so I would have to believe it's getting air somewhere. I was wondering it the trubo was going bad? Or if the water pump was put on wrong? This all started when the pump was changed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Find a GM medium duty dealer. The guys there would be much better with a Duramax than your local car and light truck dealer. The medium duty guys work on mostly diesels (as opposed to mostly gas at a light truck/car dealer). You said in the last post that the problems started after you replaced the pump..so what brand and where did you get your pump? Did it match the one that came out? Done at a shop, or did you slap it on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a Napa rebuild pump. And it was put in by a indpendent shop. I was wondering if any body had the same problem? My Wife says I need to change the pump again, since this is when it all started.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As much as people want to save money on parts, there are some things one should buy from the manufacturer. Water pumps is one of them (at least in my experiences). Having worked at a AC Delco distributor, I have heard all sorts of fun things that have happened with after market parts. An "improved" water pump would not surprise me. I would say spend a little more, get an OE pump from your dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem with loosing coolant. It had nothing to do with the water pump. I suspect it was related to my pushing the engine too hard before it warmed up.. slightly blew head gasket to one cylinder.. it would pressurize the entire coolant system slightly and push the coolant out enough to make the low coolant indicator come on. dealer fixed it under warranty to the tune of about 5000 buckets and 3 weeks down time the second trip.. the first trip they attempted to change the o-rings on the sleeves that surround the injectors as they go through the head which was not the problem and took 2 weeks to complete. service here sucks

·
Registered
6 Posts
leaky leaky 01 duramax

I read all the posts about waterleaks and waterpumps so I figured I would post. I have a 2001 dura and have been leaking coolant for a few weeks very slightly being a mechanic of 25 years I figured no problem I could not really tell where the leak was coming from so I ordered a waterpump thermostat gskts ect today I tore it down NOT FUN and found the metal tube that connects to the back of the waterpump and goes to the rear of the engine block was the culprit one little oring at the rear of the watertube I would not have found it without taking the waterpump off so I am going to replace it anyway along with the thermostat and bypass hoses I will let you know if I have any problems like the ones you are having with air in the coolant I noticed a bleed screw 12mm bolt head directly ontop of the thermostat housing I would crack that after truck gets to operating temp and see if you get any airbubbles

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had this same exact problem with my 02. have you found out how to correct the problem yet?

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
id bleed the system again if that doesnt do it its more than likely the head gaskets. when your head gaskets fail it leaks coolant at an idle if its under a load it wil def. do it but just driving the truck it wont be so bad. the pressure test doesnt really work mine passed the pressure test and both mine were blown, the press. test closes the the torn part back, id be looking into headgasket area. check your top coolant hose after the truck sat for awhile or overnight if its still hard mostlikely ther are blown.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi just wondering if you noticed your leak at or near the housing around the area where the oil filter screws on,my 01 is leaking coolant in this area and after reviewing my auto manuals ,I'm kinda leaning to wards the o-ring at the water tube,I believe it(water tube) connects to the oil filter housing,what do you think?Thanks Bubba The Great

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I am reading all of this while I sit at my shop... The water pump is bad on my 02... I have just rolled past the 140k mile mark. I am not doing a rebuilt pump, But it will be from Napa and it is $125.00. The crazy thing is that labor states that it will be 4.6 hours to do! But I just this is about when "normal" pumps go out.... Right????? God I hope so.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This sound exactly like a head gasket, your system is pressurizing and puking it all out. Not sure what the overflow tank looks like on a duramax, but you need to do a bubble test. Run a hose from the overflow section into a pop bottle with water and take it for a burn. If you see bubbles after it is at peak operating temp you have a blow head gasket my friend. Some head gaskets are so bad it will blow the water right out of the pop bottle under full load!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh yea, and pressure testing the cooling system hardly ever detects a blown head gasket. Its got to be pretty bad already for a pressure test to work, bottle test is fool proof.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what i've done to check for blown gaskets, is you take the pressure tester and hook it up to the reservoir but don't pressurize it leave it as is, start the truck and let it run till it warms up and watch the pressure rise in the gauge, if it goes over the psi that reads on the cap then you got bad head gaskets, its always worked for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This sound exactly like a head gasket, your system is pressurizing and puking it all out. Not sure what the overflow tank looks like on a duramax, but you need to do a bubble test. Run a hose from the overflow section into a pop bottle with water and take it for a burn. If you see bubbles after it is at peak operating temp you have a blow head gasket my friend. Some head gaskets are so bad it will blow the water right out of the pop bottle under full load!
So... Where is the head gasket located at? I know that my diesel shop will be replacing all the gaskets with the new water pump. But it looks like they say the housing for the water pump is all jacked up... Is this something I should get fixed or is it really not that big of a deal?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
jusyt did the head gaskets on my truck. anyone that is having blow by out th over flow tube on your coolant resivor means its a head gasket.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It sure is interesting that these water pumps seem to run out around the same mileage...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts