Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2005 CCLB DRW D/A Silverado. I have experienced this issue twice and can only venture that someone else has had experienced it also. About 2-1/2 weeks ago while driving, the security light comes on solid. About 2-3 seconds later the battery light comes on, the ECT, oil pressure, and fuel gauges goes to "zero", and the low fuel light comes on. The truck runs just fine, no hesitation, stalling, odd noises. The tach, speedo, and trans temp work just fine. The CTS2 Insight gauges all freeze (ECT, boost, FRP, DFRP, turbo vane position) except for the trans temp (still working as the numbers change along with the cluster gauge). The values for the ODO, trip A, trip B, and hours are all there, but the fuel information all displayed dashes, such as ---.- for the range, fuel used, fuel and oil filter life, and fuel economy. I didn't know if the truck would restart if I turned it off, so I decided to drive it home easy avoiding highway speeds and long inclines if possible.

Once home I turned the key off and the engine stopped...at least one good thing. The engine did restart, but I still had the same inactive gauges as before, but this time the CTS2 did not recognize the truck and could not pull a VIN/information.

After shutting the truck off again I turned the key back to the on position and I could get a temporary reading of the range, fuel used, fuel filter life...but only for about 2 seconds then it goes back to the ---.- display.

I let the truck sit for about a hour and went to check it again and it started up just fine without any issues. All gauges were functional, CTS2 started just fine. Just today on the way to work, the security light comes on and the same thing. Parked the truck at work, went out 2 hours later and all is good again. 'dunno;

The truck does have an EFI live tune, DSP5 switch, and is my daily driver. The tune has been in the truck for about 3 years without issue. Any help in tracking down the possible cause would be greatly appreciated.

Pics:
- Tach, speedo, trans temp working | fuel, oil pressure, ECT not working
- ODO giving value
- fuel used info displaying dashes
- fuel filter info displaying dashes
- key turned on initial reading with values before going to dashes again

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional Pic

Pic shows the startup an hour later with all okay again.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Bad battery/batteries & or stepper motor going out. Stepper motor going out is common on 01-07 trucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad battery/batteries & or stepper motor going out. Stepper motor going out is common on 01-07 trucks.
I know the clusters were an issue for the 00-07 trucks. I would believe it is a stepper motor if I lost a single or maybe two gauges...but to lose three gauges at the same time right after the security light came on solid makes me suspicious it might be more like a communication issue. Also the gauges on the CTS2 are frozen for the same gauges as the cluster.

Batteries have some age, but I have not had any cranking issues to hint at a weak or faulty battery, but that isn't a proven way of checking. I will check all the battery connections ( + and - ) and body grounds one night this week or Saturday latest. Might also have to stop at my friends garage and have the batteries tested.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Dont count out the stepper motor & do have the batts load tested asap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know anything is possible with electronics and communications today, but could a cluster issue cause the CTS2 to not read properly from the OBD2 port?

The only other things I can say were common during both instances was it was dark and the headlights were on (running OPT7 Flux Beam X LED bulbs) and I had about 1/8 tank of fuel left. Neither of those items should contribute to this issue, but I have been proven wrong before. :eek:hno

·
Registered
556 Posts
My OBD2 port loves to mess up and i have to unplug the cts and re-plug it to get it working again.No explanation for it.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Possible a short in a wire that pulled the voltage down. The dash gauges stepper motors are a "Slave" and respond to input. The lose of gauges should not turn on the fault light. Have you checked the system for codes-??

Lift the underhood fuse box and check for mice/shorted wires.
Read the codes-- that may help diagnose the problem.

Some have had a problem with a worn ignition switch- easy 15 to replace.

How to replace ignition switch- remove the lower steering column, tilt the column all the way up-- the switch is visible - put parking brake on, turn the key to "ON" [don't start the engine], now shift the gear selector to "N". Now just pull the switch down [only held in with two plastic clips]. Insert the new switch in, and it should be indexed correctly, if you followed the procedure.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may want to reseat the wiring harness on the back off your instrument cluster. In October of '15 I did and it's been fine since. Read the last two posts in this thread: http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/04-5-05-lly-duramax-powertrain/131804-security-light-lly-5.html#post8966370
Just read the entire thread. Definitely will give it a try. Considering it will be snowy out tomorrow here in PA I'll load up some tools tonight and re-seat the cluster wiring harness over lunch.

The lose of gauges should not turn on the fault light. Have you checked the system for codes-??

Lift the underhood fuse box and check for mice/shorted wires.
Read the codes-- that may help diagnose the problem.
I plan to have the the system checked for fault codes. I currently have AutoEnginuity so I'm limited to what codes can be seen without a Tech2 unit. Might have to talk to my local dealer and roll a free diagnostic check into a package deal with the new car I have on order.

Still going to double check all the POS and NEG connections, check the fuse box and wiring, and have the batteries load tested (unknown age as they were with the truck when I bought it 3+ years ago) just as a good PM practice.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I have a similar problem with my gauges not working at all now. It was intermittent for 6 mos or so, now they don't come on at all. The backlights do, but no gauges, no DIC, no gear selector. Pretty sure I need a new cluster (or have mine rebuilt), but I'm going to check the wiring harness anyway. Just in case it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same issue 2005 CC/SB. The EXACT same issue you were having. What was the fix sir?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Having the same issue, anyone figure it out?
See my post above. I reseated the connector on the back of the cluster in October of 2015. It's been fine since then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately tried it many times and still didn’t fix it, for some reason my issue is exactly as described above but mine is intermittent. Sometimes seconds apart sometimes days.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My guess would be replace the cluster, but that's only a guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts