Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished installing my fass pump back on my truck. start it up, runs for 1 or 2 minutes then dies tried to restart with no luck. Went and cracked the bleeder screw no fuel comes out, close it back up pump on the primer and the best I get is some fuel bubbling out.

Checked filters on fass pump fuel in both also

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
I would double check the suction side of pump, if the pump is running fuel should come out of the bleeder pretty good. Open bleeder and turn key to on without starting should be fuel coming out of the bleeder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try that tomorrow, had to leave the truck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Figured out why it would not prime. Would help if i put the hoses in the correct positions. :cookoo[1]:

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to LLY

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to fixing the lines, got fuel to filter. Opening the bleeder screw fuel flows out with no bubbles, but my truck just cranks over. How long should it take for the high pressure side to fill with fuel?

·
Administrator
16,860 Posts
Fuel system should prime quickly with lift pump, no need to use the bleeder screw. The FASS should prime it. I would make sure all the hoses are in the correct location.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked all connections and have fuel. Put a battery charger on my truck, will continued cranking hurt my injectors?

·
Administrator
16,860 Posts
If it's not firing you either don't have fuel, air or compression.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think it was just working through some air. It's running now, thanks for a fast reply

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
glad to hear

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all… Just joined this site in hopes that I can get some help. I know my issue doesn't completely apply to this thread, but it's the closest I could find. I’ve participated in forums in the past and I know how frustrating it is to have newcomers ask questions before they’ve searched the forum for answers to issues that were discussed 3 years ago. With that said, I’ve searched previous threads and haven’t really found what I’m looking for. I have a 2004 LLY with 200K miles and the only mods are a mild tuner and Cat back exhaust. About a year ago, it didn’t start in the middle of the day. Didn’t cross my mind to pump the primer, so I had AAA tow it to my mechanic. He said the water sensor unit on the bottom of the fuel filter was cracked and replaced it. No more problems until 6 months later. Over night, it started losing prime and it’s becoming more frequent. On a hot day, it sometimes won’t start after sitting for a few hours. I have to pump the primer 10-15 times. Then it runs fine. The following morning it may start and run until the fuel in the fuel rails is used up and then it cuts off. Pump, pump, pump…. Someone said to check the plastic cap on the valve where the fuel pressure is measured. It was a little loose, but tightening it didn’t help. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And again, I’ve done no heavy weight engine mods like some of you guys. It’s basically stock. Thanks a bunch! Bob

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brokesmoke . . . . Thanks for the advice! I just received the filter housing rebuild kit from Merchants. Wanted to ask if there is a gasket between the filter housing and the bracket where it mounts to the engine that I should replace while I have the housing removed. Also, should be gasket or “O” ring that the filter seats on be replaced. I watched a video on line showing a rebuild and they don't mention either of these.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Brokesmoke . . . . Thanks for the advice! I just received the filter housing rebuild kit from Merchants. Wanted to ask if there is a gasket between the filter housing and the bracket where it mounts to the engine that I should replace while I have the housing removed. Also, should be gasket or “O” ring that the filter seats on be replaced. I watched a video on line showing a rebuild and they don't mention either of these.
No problem. I don't recall there being a gasket between that bracket and the engine as it's only a mount. The biggest ones that you need to worry about is the ones that come with the kit and the ones I go on the top of the filters. The gasket that goes on top of the fuel filter should be replaced every time you change the filter. The new filters usually come with new orings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts