Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was down at the river last night trying to help recover my cousin's Dmax from the sand, and of course I got stuck too. Came back out in the morning to dig her out, and I noticed my front passenger wheel is pointed a few degrees right, like when turning, but my left wheel is pointed basically straight. I knew that couldn't be good, but went ahead and dug all the sand out in order to recover it. When the sand was removed from the front right wheel, I saw the CV boot was pulled back, and two really big bearings had fallen onto the ground. Now I'm afraid to pull it out, because I don't want the wheel to fall off while we're dragging her out. I'm assuming wheel bearings or CV joints, but I don't know where those bearings came from. Any advice would be great, because I need to get out of here to go to work.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The bearings are from the broken CV joint.

You may have other damage -- possible bent tierods, or link, as that is the connection from one wheel to the other.

·
Registered
517 Posts
my friend was driving and could smell something like wax.wen about a week like that,,then he heard something hitting his truck.
says to me,,sounded like wheel bearings...I'm like,no f'in way.while he was out,,I jacked the truck up and he was right.bearing was coming apart and shooting out bearings.
would have never thought possible.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Don't drive it- have it TOWED!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately there's no way to get a tow vehicle down there for less than $1500, which I don't have. We're trying to get a bulldozer down there right now and see if that will move it.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soooo, it's out of the hole, finally, but I can't get back down the dunes and across the river in 4x2 mode. The CV joint is indeed snapped straight in half where it enters the wheel bearing. The wheels straightened back out once I was on top of the sand again. I've ordered a new half shaft, wheel bearing and the required tools, and am going to have to triage it out on the sand. Hopefully this Friday. Any tips for working in non-optimal conditions? Wish me luck guys, and thanks for the advice already given!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and I bought a breakover bar and 15mm socket to remove the busted half shaft, but apparently the Fabtech 8" lift comes with axle spacers and upgraded bolts that are larger than 15mm. Does anyone know what size the Fabtech bolts are, or know where I could find that info? I have yet to be able to find that info in a cursory google search.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Make sure your cousin helps you fix that!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's actually still sitting out there. By the time the parts had come in, it had rained and the river was too high to cross. Of course it has rained just enough each week to keep the river about chest high. Can't get over to the truck, and couldn't drive it back across the river even if I could.

·
Registered
517 Posts
do you go over there often w/ the trucks?or was this the first time?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you go over there often w/ the trucks?or was this the first time?
Been going down there a couple times a month for years. Everything went downhill once his winch wire rope snapped, and I moved behind his truck to attempt and snatch it out backwards. Bad idea. Once my CV broke, it was all over.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good luck. Just bring a cheap socket set down there. If its bigger than 15 it should be 17 or 19mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts