Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Lots of fuel in oil

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mishap64 
#1 ·
Im working on one of my dads companys truck, its a 2002 chevy. after i did the injectors the foreman wrecked it, idk how long he drove unill he stopped, truck got fixed and not 4 weeks later i had to pull the truck in cause crankcase got filled, drained 6 gallons and sent oil off to blackstone labs and they said it was fuel in the oil.

i just changed the injectors <3,000 miles ago with bosch oem's and all new seals and gaskets. i have efi and checked the balence rates, they were all good (highest one being less than 2)

question is, could a injector be cracked while the balence rates are good? and could it leak fuel in by the off chance a head is wraped/cracked? could anything else cause it? and finally is there a test i can do to find out.

thank you.

#2 ·
i almost forgot, the truck had 0-10 oil psi and was driven roughly 100 miles in this condition(roofers are pretty stuiped, common sense doesnt apply to them i guess), blackstone labs said sense the oil was so diluted, they coulnd give an accurate measure of engine wear, what do you guys think driving it that long like that would do?

#3 ·
your balance rates wont show a crack, i almost positive

either way fuel in the oil is bad and costs lots of $$$ if left as is.

Pull the valve covers and see if all the fuel lines are properly tightened down

there's also dye you can use with a black light to trace the leak, unless it is an injector body crack, which the light wont show from it being buried in the motor.

start with the fuel lines and cross your fingers

Good luck :thumb

#4 ·
I torqued all return lines to 18 pounds when I changed the injectors, but sounds like I'm getting into valve covers either way lol. Is there any way to narrow it down to one side, like return rates? Also, why don't cracked injectors show up?
Thanks for the quick and informative reply

#5 ·
Your balance rates check an electrical signal of the injectors. A crack is a physical problem so it can't be scanned w electronics.

I'd recheck them and then get back with us.

You should be able to check return rates and see if one differs from the rest and MAYBE
narrow it down off that, but I'm not 100%.

#6 ·
I thought I heard you can do a vacuum test on the return line to see if they leak? I wonder if that's something you can do without removing the covers? Btw, I'm not making excuses to not pull the covers, I did several injectors, HG. Lol, I'm not scared, just trying to learn more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.