Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 06 with stock down pipe and 4 in from turbo back with a twister muffler and i want it to be louder it isnt that loud right now.what kind of muffler do i need. thanks

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
no muffler at all!!!! With the restrictive Varialbe vane turbo exhaust housing it keeps a lot of the sound in (so to speek )and gives you the hissing type sound!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i tryed no muffler at all and i lost alot of low end power and were might i get that restrictive Varialbe vane turbo exhaust housing that. thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm running a 5" straight pipe with a 6" tip, it has the rumble of a gasser big block, and it has the turbo hiss. Str8 pipe it

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i might consider that but didnt you lose low end power with no muffller

·
Registered
68 Posts
not to jack your thread duramax'n but i just have a question for mackthehack. does a straight pipe sound better than a new exhaust system? is this leagal in all states or do i have to check?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
buy the MBRP muffler delete pipe along with a exhaust system witch equals a straight pipe..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, it does sound better, but I'm running 5" pipe with 6" tip. I had it dump just behind the cab, when I use my a/c and windows up it got a little too loud of a drone noise under hard accleration. So I added about 3ft of 5" pipe to have the tip dropped just behind the rear axle. Literally have an 1.5 in between axle and tip. Enough room for play, and won't burn fliud in axle, or won't burn brake lines. The way I have it set up, sounds badass. As the legality I am not sure. I know California has not cracked down on diesels yet. If you are not sure check with somone who lives in the same state as you on this forum. Or you could open a new thread asking. Could also have a metal fab shop, or muffler shop build you a dummy cat. When Cali cracks down on diesels that is what I am going to do. Crap sorry this so long.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
YOu shouldent loose any power removing the muffler, the turbo creates all the back pressure and more that the engine could ever need. Now if your CEL is on due to the exhaust, you could be loosing some power! Between a straight through aftermarket muffler and a straight pipe there really isnt much flow difference, if any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
remove the muffler

My son and I replaced the muffler on his 03 with a straight pipe. No loss of power. Sounds great and seems to have more low end and high end power. Revs quicker too. We are doing the same to my 06 this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts