Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody!! i have an 05 lly 4 door short bed 175000 km on it and its amazing. i had this tick that turned into a very loud knock. it only does it from idle to 1500 rpm and when the engine is warm. i brought it to a very reputable diesel shop and they thought injectors or lifters, they pulled the motor apart and found zero issues they said it was perfect in there. they did some digging and found a bulletin from gm saying these trucks can get a knock from the coolant running through the block gm says it isnt a problem with reliability or performance but it is so dam annoying lol does anybody hear have any other possible ideas it could be? they only checked for lifters and injectors( and whatever else you can see in the motor by getting to the lifters) Thanks again!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ive had a tick that sometime seems like a knock. I have a theory that it may be related to the hydroboost. The day my hydroboost decided to take a shit my tick/knock was completely gone.

I haven't got to replace my hydroboost yet due to insurance company not giving me any lube over my title.

But hopefully within the next few days I can prove it. Remove your power steering fluid cap and see if you can hear like a tick or tapping noise inside it. I think this is what was causing my sound.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill give that a go lol its really loud though ill try to take a video one day though mine is most audible in the driver side wheel well.. and thats exactly where gm said to listen for this

·
Registered
726 Posts
Could be a exhaust leak but not quite the sound your stating. My original motor would get pretty damn noisy when it was getting close to oil change.

I'll try to upload the vid of mine if the Autoguide App will let me. You'd swear it was motor problems.

GM also has a service bulletin stating the clearances in the bottom end and oil going through the passages can make a knock sound

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh okay thanks!! and mine does it all the time no matter what the oil life is it had 2 oils changes within 600km and about two weeks of eachother and nothing changed and would you happen to know if there is any way to fix the clearences?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts