Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When in 4 wheel drive I have a hard clunking when turning to the left. I had the same noise when turning to the right so i replaced the CV Axle on the passenger side. Fixed that. Then I noticed it was the same when turning to the left so I replaced the driver side CV Axle (same day) the clunking is still there when in 4 wheel drive and turning to the left there is a loud clunking. Its bad, Its loud, it feels like the its jumping. Maybe the CV Axel I got is bad? The CV Axles I bought are new parts. :help

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
Are you driving on pavement when this happens? You should not drive on dry pavement. The front will jump around and possibly break stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes im on pavement. when I changed the axle on the passenger side it stoped doing it while turning right so I would think it should stop while turning left after changing drivers side. i understand that driving on dry pavement is not the norm but it shouldnt be doing this

·
Registered
159 Posts
never ever run 4X on hard dry any thing just stop it please or come to my shop and give me money

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
My truck jumps on hard pavement..it's not good to drive in 4wd while on hard pavement. I would try it on a dirt road. One tire has to be able to slip to keep it from not jumping. The reason I know my truck jumps is because during break-up in alaska there is ice and dry pavement...you see where this is going.

I would make sure there is fluid in your transfer case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand the jumping part due to posi traction. Im more asking about the the sounds like something is breaking. Ive been wheeling for many years and have had many different trucks with IFS there not suppose to sound like this

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
And ur not supposed to be putting it into 4wd on dry pavement, but you do anyways.

Have you checked your hubs? My truck would hop even on ice when I had a hub go bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts