Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Installed a banks waste gate the other night & ever since then I’ve had a bad whoosing sound almost as if one of the intercooler boots are leaking. I’m still building 22PSI as I always have with tuning & checked all connections multiple times with a boost leak test. Nothing is coming up. I checked all intercooler lines, boots, intake, exhaust & still getting that bad sound. Any ideas? Could it be the turbo? Thanks

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
I cant see the picture. Does it have shaft play? Should have little to none side to side and none in n out. It sounds like it came in contact with the housing which isnt good.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Stupid question......Thats the banks "big mouth" waste gate isn't it? Isn't that what these kids driving Subbies and the turbo f150's do to their cars so they sound like this? Meaning that's how they are supposed to sound? Ignorant maybe but all in all just a dumb question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stupid question......Thats the banks "big mouth" waste gate isn't it? Isn't that what these kids driving Subbies and the turbo f150's do to their cars so they sound like this? Meaning that's how they are supposed to sound? Ignorant maybe but all in all just a dumb question.
Don’t know how it’s a stupid question if I’m genuinely lost here. It sounds like a boost leak. How does an upgraded wastegate make a sound that is consistent with the RPMs? I know a good amount about diesels but never ever heard of this wastegate making a noise the way it does

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
@BOWTIE67 youre thinking of a blowoff valve

·
Registered
778 Posts
@BOWTIE67 youre thinking of a blowoff valve
Told you it was a dumb question. :laugh:. HAHAHA Its amazing i maintain my own things with as little as i really know. HAHAHA I just know if i take it apart i can put it back together. I dont know much.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Your not the only one!! Lmao
I’ve never messed around with the waste gate or banks for that matter
You said it’s hitting 22 could you not have it adjusted right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your not the only one!! Lmao
I’ve never messed around with the waste gate or banks for that matter
You said it’s hitting 22 could you not have it adjusted right?
So I called Banks & they’ve never heard anything like it. The sound is not affecting power at all so I’m kinda at a loss. Put back the stock wastegate & sounds still there so we ruled out that. Bad turbo or manifold gasket?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bellows cracked on an up pipe??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wouldn’t a boost leak test make this obvious? I pressure tested the system so shouldn’t I hear the leak?

You pressure tested the exhaust? Lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
That I did not do lol. Thinking of one of the intercooler lines. How much of a pain is it to replace the up pipe?

It’s not too bad, so long as a bolt doesn’t break and it’s pretty tight back there. A flex head ratchet is a must. I would look first before taking them off. Should be easy to determine I would think there would be some soot if one was cracked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That I did not do lol. Thinking of one of the intercooler lines. How much of a pain is it to replace the up pipe?

It’s not too bad, so long as a bolt doesn’t break and it’s pretty tight back there. A flex head ratchet is a must. I would look first before taking them off. Should be easy to determine I would think there would be some soot if one was cracked.

Just to confirm, is it next to downpipe?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok Here’s a thought .... could your fan clutch be at issue the whooshing noise could be your fan clutch is locked up. I have a “whooshing noise on initial driving till engine heats up a little. If yours is locked fan will be spinning like a son of a bitch as your rpms climbs.

Reactions: stevewaclo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Here’s a thought .... could your fan clutch be at issue the whooshing noise could be your fan clutch is locked up. I have a “whooshing noise on initial driving till engine heats up a little. If yours is locked fan will be spinning like a son of a bitch as your rpms climbs.
Sorry just saw this. I imagine this would cut off once it warms up? This is constant, cold, warm, hot... anytime I drive it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts