Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 431 Posts

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I pulled the air box in the center of the engine off of the truck. The box that has 6.6 on it. When I removed the air box I put a plug in the hole. The plug is two peaces of metal with a peace of rubber inbetween it and a bolt with a wing nut on it. The hole is two inches wide. I put the plug in and I tightened the wing nut. For added security I put a 5/16 lock not onto of the wing nut so it will not back off. I then reinstalled the air box cover thing. The turbo whistle is way louder when I let of the fuel pedal. Hope this helps you guys that want a louder whistle. If anyone needs pics let me know I can get some. It is realy easy. Went to the hadware store and bought the plug for 3.60 and it took all of about 5 mins put put in. If you go to the hardware store look in the plumbing section for the plug like I described.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does. I forgot to take a pic with the airbox back on the truck.

Once the airbox thing is back on the truck you can not ever tell you put the plug in there.

I would put a lock nut on to keep the wing nut from backing off

· Registered
336 Posts
It also does help a little with quicker spooling. If u wanna here what it sound like review this vidoe at the end of the pull
YouTube - Kurt's Duramax
And this
YouTube - 2wd again

Hahaha and you would no these would be my 2 suckest pulls that u can acutally here it

· Registered
28 Posts
What size plug is that ? Any other benefits with this?

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is a 2 inch plug. I noticed it does spool a little quicker and the turbo sound way sicker when you let of the pedal. I think it is worth the 4 dollers and like 5 mins to put on. JMO.

· Registered
42 Posts
Will this work on my "06 LLY?

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it will.

· Registered
67 Posts
stupid question time,why is that hole there in the first place and can i do this on my lmm?? thanks.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the turbo spools faster but it is hard to tell with out a boost guage. I think it is worth the 4 dollers to get the whistle.

· Registered
336 Posts
U can do this mod on all duramax motors from 01 and up. The turbo does spool a little quicker. The reason being all that is basically in that box is back pressure from the turbo. Its kinda hard to explain but when u plug it off there is no where for it to go except back to the turbo which creates more spool and out the exhaust

· Registered
165 Posts
the only thing i wonder is if it has any mass air volume for quick response of the throttle, like on a gas vehicle, you see those large air storage areas to kinda hold there for WOT response

but with a turbo and intercooler that the air has to travel through on a d-max it may not make any difference, i'll def. give it a shot

1 - 20 of 431 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.