Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone invested in a louvered 5th wheel tailgate for their fiver. I have searched the forums and found no info on them. Do they have any functionality or are they purely ornamental. Looking for opinions. :drink

·
Registered
813 Posts
they prevent the eventual forgetting to disconnecting to the fiver without dropping the gate and destroying the gate, i know it seems dumb but it is going to happen to everyone eventually.... i never found any other difference i could attribute to the gate....

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you do not have a notched tailgate (5th Wheel TG), you'll have to open your tailgate everytime you want to couple/uncouple the trailer. You may have to even remove the tailgate if clearance is a problem between your truck and trailer.
They also say that the louvers help with mileage, but I don't know about that.

I found while hunting at Vandenberg AFB, that the 5th wheel TG aided me in getting the deer or hogs I shot into the back of the truck. I lower the TG and would stand over the notch and pull the animal up through notch from my game cart. Now this is on a '97 GMC K2500 and we all know the newer truck beds sit higher than those of the past, at least there's a big difference between my '97 and my '09.

·
Registered
895 Posts
they prevent the eventual forgetting to disconnecting to the fiver without dropping the gate and destroying the gate, i know it seems dumb but it is going to happen to everyone eventually.... i never found any other difference i could attribute to the gate....
^^^^ Been there done that with a work trailer. Getting one this year.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I actually get almost 1 mpg better at highway speed, as near as I can calculate, with the louvered tailgate. I also like it because it provides great visibility when backing into a spot, you can see thru the dip and louvers easily, plus it keeps dirt and debris from accumulating along the tailgate hinge, allows dust & leaves to blow away. Get the metal one, not plastic. Plus it helps prevent that senior moment that happens when you get in a hurry to hook up your 5th wheel. Got a 5th wheel toolbox with matching notch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a louvered tail gate I run in the summer made by Handy Industries, it is metal and painted black the same color as my truck. Don't know about fuel savings?
I am installing a Retrax cover next week that I will use when I have my fifth wheel hitch in the box. I switch back to the factory tailgate for the winter when I run my sled deck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts