Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you do not know what love bugs are... stop reading, get on your knees, and thank God. For you have been blessed beyond measure. If you do know what they are, you know they are the worst insect on this planet and have no purpose in life but to ruin the bumpers, grills, and radiators of our beloved trucks. I am from Louisiana so I have been dealing with them my entire life. I am currently in Florida and have learned that love bugs instinctively flock here like the salmon of Capistrano!

I decided to wash my truck today because I could no longer tell that my bumper is chrome... I picked up some RainX bug and tar remover. Which I thought I had used in the past with good results... It was like trying to clean them off with straight water. After scrubbing with little results for hours with a netted sponge, I decided to get creative and soak the front of my truck with WD-40. This worked 10x better than the crappy bug remover I picked up. Now I gotta just figure out how to get all the WD-40 off my truck :grin2:

So I wanted to ask the other forum members that suffer the horrid fate of living where these little love bugs swarm, what have you found to get them off your truck? Any preventative measure that can be taken other that spraying the front of my truck with Pam or WD-40?

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Man I thought you were talking about the herps at first :rofl @Minerigger your detailing services are needed. Repeat paging brock the pokemon hunter.

Reactions: eli_harper13

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Wetted dryer sheets are the best for removal.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Foam Cannon....then what doesn't come off gets a spray of full strength SG...wait a few then wipe off.

Tried the bug/tar stuff....meh.
It does work on tar, but so does Diesel on a rag.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foam Cannon....then what doesn't come off gets a spray of full strength SG...wait a few then wipe off.

Tried the bug/tar stuff....meh.
It does work on tar, but so does Diesel on a rag.
What is SG?

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
simple green

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Our Luvin' season over here passed a month or so ago.

Bugs in general are down with no rain, seemingly endless 100* days, and dry.
Yard Birds are bored too, nothing to chase & eat. A few tiny grasshoppers here and there, hidin' good.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
This is so true. Normally when the season starts i coat the front of our vehicles with wd40 and then they don't stick as bad.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
If you do not know what love bugs are... stop reading, get on your knees, and thank God. For you have been blessed beyond measure. If you do know what they are, you know they are the worst insect on this planet and have no purpose in life but to ruin the bumpers, grills, and radiators of our beloved trucks. I am from Louisiana so I have been dealing with them my entire life. I am currently in Florida and have learned that love bugs instinctively flock here like the salmon of Capistrano!

I decided to wash my truck today because I could no longer tell that my bumper is chrome... I picked up some RainX bug and tar remover. Which I thought I had used in the past with good results... It was like trying to clean them off with straight water. After scrubbing with little results for hours with a netted sponge, I decided to get creative and soak the front of my truck with WD-40. This worked 10x better than the crappy bug remover I picked up. Now I gotta just figure out how to get all the WD-40 off my truck :grin2:

So I wanted to ask the other forum members that suffer the horrid fate of living where these little love bugs swarm, what have you found to get them off your truck? Any preventative measure that can be taken other that spraying the front of my truck with Pam or WD-40?
Pressure washer at the quarter car wash. I like to do it first thing in the morning when the dew has gotten them well re-hydrated. They come off easily for me this way.

Usually have time to wash the wheel wells, etc too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might try Simple Green and a dryer sheet to scrub with next time!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Holy $h!t! Lol I had to look these love bugs up after reading this thread, and after seeing some Google pictures, I can understand the disdain for them lol.

Wow. We don't have anything like that up north here. Mayflies by the Mississippi river are bad once a year, during the summer but nothing like that.

That's ridiculous

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy $h!t! Lol I had to look these love bugs up after reading this thread, and after seeing some Google pictures, I can understand the disdain for them lol.

Wow. We don't have anything like that up north here. Mayflies by the Mississippi river are bad once a year, during the summer but nothing like that.

That's ridiculous
I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I couldn't tell my front bumper was chrome lol

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just googled them too, wow. You guys can keep them down there.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I guess I'm the lucky one. The love bugs are terrible here in Baton Rouge where I work most the summer, but then the mayflies come. But the time I do my 6 hr ride to get back home; near Memphis, TN, the front of the truck is completely covered in bug goo!! I usually re-hydrate them then blast them with SG and light scrub and they come right off.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Central Florida was especially bad this year, literally could not drive even a couple miles down the road without the front of your truck being covered. The dryer sheet trick works great.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Central Florida was especially bad this year, literally could not drive even a couple miles down the road without the front of your truck being covered. The dryer sheet trick works great.
Yeah I was near the Tampa area for the late spring/early summer swarm. I traveled mostly on slow back roads, I found that doing 40-35mph stopped them from splattering on my truck. So even though it was the worst season I have ever seen, my truck did not get bad at all. I am currently near Jacksonville, and my main drive it on a road with a 60mph speed limit, so of course I'm not going 35-40mph on it. So my truck it getting it much worse for this late summer/early fall swarm.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts