Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had some extra time this morning, so I decided to see if I could up my mileage figures on my usual weekly commute route. I always do hand calculation at fill up and it always matches the dash with .3. I have been consistently getting 19.5-20 running 75 MPH and driving normally (some liberal use of the skinny pedal at times).

Soooo….. today I topped off, crawled slowly out to the highway, took about 2 full minutes to get up to 60 MPH, set the cruise and never changed speed for the next 100 miles. The route starts out with some gentle hills, then eventually goes completely flat. I then pulled off the highway, topped off again, and calculated 26.3 MPG. Dash said 26.5, as shown below. 50 degrees F with no wind today. Absolutely incredible!

This truck is just amazing and continues to impress me more every day I drive it. Now, if I only had the patience to drive this slow all the time…..

I also love getting fuel at Ammex at the Ambassador Bridge. Nothing like paying $.50 a gallon less than anywhere else!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thats not bad! The most I see is usually 22 mpg, but I have often found I do get better on the longer drives. I think its the stop and go traffic that kills me.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
I didn't get to check the numbers, but this last tank I tried to be very careful not to exceed 2k rpms. I know I did a few times passing slow cars, and such, but other than that I tried to hold to 2k or less.

While I do not have hard numbers because I do not have the DIC and I haven't filled up, I will say that I normally get right at 500 miles on a tank.

Yesterday I had over 1/8 tank left and already had 500 miles on the truck.

It is a good experiment for one tank, now back to normal driving routine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I paid $3.19 yesterday in nebraska. bout crapped myself

·
Registered
987 Posts
yeah its around $3/gal here... id love to pay 2.50!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went down to the States on the weekend and picked up marked fuel for 246 a gallon, that works out to 65 cents a liter I love that price. We pay 97 cents a liter here, and not allowed to buy marked fuel. I have been getting about 17 mpg but I cant drive slow and actually wish I didn't have DIC I rather not know and just fill up when empty. lol

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
If you were to time yourself driving 75mph and then time yourself driving 60 mph, you will find that the time you are saving is minimal.

@ 60 mph travel time 1:40 (26.3 mpg)

@ 75 mph travel time 1:20 (19.75 mpg)

You did save 20 minutes but, lets look at the range of your truck and how often you would have to fill up.

@ 60 mph/26.3 mpg your range is 683.8 miles (6.83 trips to or from work with a 26 gallon tank)

@ 75 mph/19.75 mpg your range is 513.5 miles (5.13 trips to or from work with a 26 gallon tank)

The difference is 170.3 miles.

170.3/19.75= 8.622 gallons

8.622 * 2.50 (fuel/gallon)= $21.56 is what it cost you to save 40 minutes a day per tank.

Take it out even further (for a year working 5 days a week)

@75 mph:
2532 (gallons used) * 2.50 (fuel/gallon) = $6330.00

@60 mph
1901 (gallons used) * 2.50 (fuel/gallon) = $4752.50

So to save time it cost you $ 1577.5

I personally have decided to drive 65 mph for the best of both worlds it saves fuel and you get to where you are going in relatively the same time. Plus, I have noticed with the 4 diesels I have owned that 65 mph seems to be a sweet spot for mileage on all my diesels. It is cool your mileage picked up that much!!!!:rockin

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I didn't get to check the numbers, but this last tank I tried to be very careful not to exceed 2k rpms. I know I did a few times passing slow cars, and such, but other than that I tried to hold to 2k or less.

While I do not have hard numbers because I do not have the DIC and I haven't filled up, I will say that I normally get right at 500 miles on a tank.

Yesterday I had over 1/8 tank left and already had 500 miles on the truck.

It is a good experiment for one tank, now back to normal driving routine.
Staying under 2K helps a lot but, if GM would give us a boost gauge then we could really clean up on mileage. With My old F-350, I noticed if I could keep the boost pressure down then, the mileage came up dramatically.

Which reminds me I need to go shop for a boost gauge.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can usually squeeze out 21-22 mpg when I am driving with a light foot. One night on the way back from the girlfriends (only about 10 miles) I wanted to see how good I could do...there are even some hills between. Here is the result...I wish I could do that everywhere!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I agree with setexan......the extra time to commute is WELL worth it! Even if the difference is 2-3 mpg.....it all adds up......plus you dont have to worry about speeding tickets :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you were to time yourself driving 75mph and then time yourself driving 60 mph, you will find that the time you are saving is minimal.

@ 60 mph travel time 1:40 (26.3 mpg)

@ 75 mph travel time 1:20 (19.75 mpg)

You did save 20 minutes but, lets look at the range of your truck and how often you would have to fill up.

@ 60 mph/26.3 mpg your range is 683.8 miles (6.83 trips to or from work with a 26 gallon tank)

@ 75 mph/19.75 mpg your range is 513.5 miles (5.13 trips to or from work with a 26 gallon tank)

The difference is 170.3 miles.

170.3/19.75= 8.622 gallons

8.622 * 2.50 (fuel/gallon)= $21.56 is what it cost you to save 40 minutes a day per tank.

Take it out even further (for a year working 5 days a week)

@75 mph:
2532 (gallons used) * 2.50 (fuel/gallon) = $6330.00

@60 mph
1901 (gallons used) * 2.50 (fuel/gallon) = $4752.50

So to save time it cost you $ 1577.5

I personally have decided to drive 65 mph for the best of both worlds it saves fuel and you get to where you are going in relatively the same time. Plus, I have noticed with the 4 diesels I have owned that 65 mph seems to be a sweet spot for mileage on all my diesels. It is cool your mileage picked up that much!!!!:rockin
Good insight!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.